• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best clear/smooth screen protector?

Dex

Android Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2010
Tennessee
www.facebook.com
I've never used a screen protector on my phone. I've always been insanely careful, kept it in a pouch or just not really cared. However, I'd like to go a different route with my Thunderbolt.

I would like something that isn't "sticky" to the touch. Something very smooth. I would also like it to not blur the screen, I would like for it to be very clear. I understand there are many different kinds of types available, but I was wonder what some favorites are.

Thanks.

I've preferred Zagg clear screen protectors because they're tough. Some folks think that they are "sticky" to the touch, but I don't have that feel from them. Best Buy and other stores sell them so you may be able to talk one of the employees into letting you pull one out of the packaging to feel the surface of it and decide for yourself.

Upvote 0
I've preferred Zagg clear screen protectors because they're tough. Some folks think that they are "sticky" to the touch, but I don't have that feel from them. Best Buy and other stores sell them so you may be able to talk one of the employees into letting you pull one out of the packaging to feel the surface of it and decide for yourself.

He said he wanted smooth, so why would you recommend Zagg? Zagg and smooth shouldn't be in the same sentence. ;)

Upvote 0
ImCharming is RIGHT... just buy some cheapos from ebay... they are all pretty much the same. DO NOT go to the mall and buy that overpriced crap shields they sell for $20.. its a rip off seriously. I got a 3pk on ebay and they were super simple and easy to install.. no bubbles, it was a sinch.

oh yeah... no sticky, smoooooth as can be!

Upvote 0
Steinheil Ultra Crystal

I had a Zagg on my Incredible and I have the Steinheil Ultra Crystal on my Thunderbolt. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and neither is perfect. Since you asked solely about clear/smooth screen protectors, I will address my experience with the Steinheil.

This protector has a pretty impressive fanbase, but in my view, it does have some flaws.

Pros:

1. application is very easy;

2. smoothness is great -- it feels like the native screen; and

3. fit is very good

Cons:

1. scratch resistance: the Steinheil scratches very easily. I am vigilant about keeping my phone away from all sharp objects, but I was surprised to find a large scratch on it recently. It occurred when I had my TB in my backpack and the only thing in the pack with it that wasn't made of cotton was a plastic squeeze container of sunblock. The welded plastic edge of the squeeze container apparently rubbed across the screen once and left a substantial scratch in the screen protector. Fortunately, Steinheil typically provides two rather than just one screen protector with your order, so I simply replaced it

2. Translucency: I used my TB for several weeks without a screen protector and I became accustomed to the way the screen looks in all forms of lighting (sunlight, indoor illumination, darkness, etc.). With the Steinheil in place, the screen looks just as good as it does without a screen protector in all of those lighting scenarios EXCEPT bright sunlight. In sunlight, the protector imparts a hazy appearance to the screen not unlike a light fog. That hazy appearance did not occur when I was running it naked.

I haven't seen much posted about this latter issue, so I expect that some others will disagree. However, I have experienced this with both of my Steinheil protectors, and my application of the protectors was according to the manufacturer's instructions (it was ideal), so it does not appear to be some error on my part or some random individual product defect.

Upvote 0
I got some cheapos from ebay and while they are on the phone, they aren't quite what I as looking for. They are slick and mostly clear, but The one I put on is already coming off at the edge and they don't fit the phone quite well enough.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out both Steinhill and Zagg, since I got multiple recommendations for them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones