• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best custom rom for Wired and Wireless tethering?

tony2069

Nov 19, 2009
Hi, I have an extra HTC EVO 4G (primary phone is HTC EVO 3D now...). I was thinking I'd love to put a custom rom on it and use it primarily as a wifi hotspot and wired tether. What's the best custom ROM for this? I guess I would like something 2.3.x based, great on battery life (all the bloatware and sense stripped out), fast, and can support wired tethering (I've never tried it yet).

Any recommendations?

Thank You!

Hi, I have an extra HTC EVO 4G (primary phone is HTC EVO 3D now...). I was thinking I'd love to put a custom rom on it and use it primarily as a wifi hotspot and wired tether. What's the best custom ROM for this? I guess I would like something 2.3.x based, great on battery life (all the bloatware and sense stripped out), fast, and can support wired tethering (I've never tried it yet).

Any recommendations?

Thank You!

roms really play no part in tethering really. try mikg2.5 it is very stable and has the hacked hotspot.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
roms really play no part in tethering really. try mikg2.5 it is very stable and has the hacked hotspot.
I would like to say I installed Mikg2.5.3 and the latest wifi ether (3.1 beta6) so now I have a great multipurpose device that I can use as a hotspot and the usb tether works great (on it right now).

Thank You for the recommendation!

Upvote 0
Ocnbrze is right. ROMs really play little to no part in tethering and their effectiveness. But he is also right that it's best to get a ROM with a hacked version of the original one that comes from Sprint.

These seem to be the best ones to look for. I'm pretty sure only Sense based ROMs have them like EViO and Fresh.

On ones like MIUI or CM7, these actually have tethering built into the Settings. I plug my phone into my computer via USB (needs HTC Sync to work, I believe) or just hit a button and they will start wifi tethering.

I'm on CM7 at the moment and love the wifi tether. MIUI's was about the same.

I prefer ones that have the hacked Sprint version because they seem to give the fastest speeds and have actual working features. The free, generic wifi tether that comes from the Market has never allowed me to keep people off of my connection and lacks other features like being lightning fast.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ocnbrze is right. ROMs really play little to no part in tethering and their effectiveness. But he is also right that it's best to get a ROM with a hacked version of the original one that comes from Sprint.

These seem to be the best ones to look for. I'm pretty sure only Sense based ROMs have them like EViO and Fresh.

On ones like MIUI or CM7, these actually have tethering built into the Settings. I plug my phone into my computer via USB (needs HTC Sync to work, I believe) or just hit a button and they will start wifi tethering.

I'm on CM7 at the moment and love the wifi tether. MIUI's was about the same.

I prefer ones that have the hacked Sprint version because they seem to give the fastest speeds and have actual working features. The free, generic wifi tether that comes from the Market has never allowed me to keep people off of my connection and lacks other features like being lightning fast.

do you mind if I ask what wifi tethering speeds you get on 4g with the rom you are using? dslreports is giving me 2.5mb/s down and about 800K/s up...

Upvote 0
do you mind if I ask what wifi tethering speeds you get on 4g with the rom you are using? dslreports is giving me 2.5mb/s down and about 800K/s up...

Haha, to be honest, I never tether with 4G, only 3G, and still get great speeds. But I am in the Los Angeles area so speeds might be a bit faster. I'll check it out and give you an exact number...

Sprint is having trouble in my area so I can't get an exact number today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones