• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best DUAL SIM android phone?

Upvote 0
As promised some user experiences of my the FET T8888, which is the same as a HOT HD 958:
  • The speaker volume needs to be higher. This is a downpoint. It's still enough to listen to people, but nothing more. If you connect a headset, everything is perfect. The default headset is in-ear, which is ok for music, but not to plug in everytime someone calls you.
  • The battery time is about 2 days if you sometimes: call, use GPS and Wi-fi, play games and install apps.
  • It's fast!
  • The GPS does only work half of the time if you put it in your pocket to go running. I used the app "My tracks" for this.
  • I modified some existing Windows 7 x64 drivers to work with the phone, so drivers are no issue anymore :).
  • I updated to a rooted custom HOT 958 ROM. This way you can make decent backups using MyBackup Root. The custom ROM is a big plus!
  • I'm using GoContacts EX to handle different contact groups and calling from groups.
  • I'm still looking for a decent App to handle messages. The default Android one is pretty ok, but doesn't handle groups and has the "send via sim 1 or 2" button really close, which makes it easy to send a message to early. I tried a lot of popular apps, but none of them support dual sim.

So I'm very happy with the phone :). Only downpoint is the volume while calling.

Which App does Viewsonic use for the interface? It looks pretty cool! Edit: looks like this app. Nice that they include a 10 euro launcher.

Thanks a lot, ordered mine too! Just hoping it won't take too long to arrive in Belgium from Hong Kong :)
Since I don't make a lot of calls, the calling volume shouldn't be that much of a problem here.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I bought an HDC Z710 on ebay last week (from a UK seller, to avoid having to wait long and pay duties in Belgium) and wanted to share my experiences:

Specs: www.etotalk.com/hdc-z710-android-dual-3g-wcdma-43-wvga_p2640.html

In short, it's a great phone, fast, came with Cynogenmod ROM installed, decent battery life (on standby)... everything you'd want except:

The camera kind of sucks (bad autofocus and most pics are overexposed)
AND... it didn't come with 512MB of RAM as advertised but only about 256MB.
In reality that leaves about 70MB of RAM for apps to run and once I started running stuff like LauncherPRO and WidgetLocker, all my ram got used up quite quickly, making the phone deadslow.

Conclusion: I'll be sending it back (luckily UK law gives me a 7-day refund period)

Now I'm of course looking for a replacement phone and I'm seeing all sorts of reports in this thread, but I keep wondering how about the memory?

Would you all be so kind to post the amount of available memory please? (Maybe a good addition to the WIKI page too)

A good way to check is using a nice free app called "Android System Info" (search for ASI in the market).

On the Z710 it have me 159MB of RAM and 50MB available just after boot.
Comparing that to my (also chinese) tablet which DOES have 512MB RAM, the difference is huge (see www.vanderborght.eu/memory.jpg).

I'm particularly interested in reading your experiences with phones like the G12, HD HOT, etc.
(3G, 800x480, Qualcomm processor)

Thanks for reporting back!

Regards,
Peter

Upvote 0
I bought an HDC Z710 on ebay last week (from a UK seller, to avoid having to wait long and pay duties in Belgium) and wanted to share my experiences:
Would you all be so kind to post the amount of available memory please? (Maybe a good addition to the WIKI page too)
I'm particularly interested in reading your experiences with phones like the G12, HD HOT, etc. (3G, 800x480, Qualcomm processor)
Thanks for your experiences. 256MB is not enough, I agree. The amount of memory is actually already in the wiki: http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Dual_Sim_Droids. For the HD 958 I checked the memory to be sure and it is 512MB.

Upvote 0
I see that ViewSonic V350 is now being sold in the UK (at least). Has anyone got it? What is the feedback please?

Have been waiting for this phone for a long time now but having used a rooted HTC Desire with custom ROMs for a long time now, I am not sure how it feel to be restricted by a stock Android 2.2 ROM, though I know the dual SIM functionality will be of immense help.

Any feedback so far on V350 please?

Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Argh. I just ordered V350 from computeruniverse for use in the US... but the same 3G network issues you describe for Australia are going to impact me in the US. Crap.

I was considering buying the Muchtel A2, which was supposed to be a V350 under a different name, and its specs list a 3rd 3G band (1900) that would have worked for me in the US... but either that spec is wrong or the two phones are not the same. Maybe I should cancel my computeruniverse order and go for the Muchtel.

Argh. I don't want to continue waiting for a darn phone, but might be best to cancel my V350 order and hold out for a while :(

Upvote 0
Well, the folks selling the Muchtel A2 on eBay told me that the A2 is the same as the V350 and it only operates on the 900 and 2100 3G bands. Fortunately, more digging into my options in the US revealed that T-Mobile does use 2100 for 3G (in addition to 850), so that would work for me.

So, good news... but then the bad...

I went to computeruniverse to see how my order was coming along, and it now says that stock is not available and they don't know when it will be available to ship (said would ship in 2-3 days when I placed order). :mad:

So... back to considering cancelling my V350/computeruniverse order and placing an order on eBay for the A2.

Upvote 0
FINALLY!

The Viewsonic V350 after months and months of delays and frustrations is in my hand!!!!!

I have to say, WOW. Ok it might not be Super HD or have the newest processor or indeed be the prettiest phone (but it isn't no ugly sister either). It seems well built, has a decent spec and a good finish. Everything works and properly (unlike some of the Chinese clones) but perhaps more importantly it has Dual SIM as standard with a truly well thought out interface. Little things count with these new technologies (i.e. Dual SIM Android), ok there are loads of other unknowns or relatively unknowns out there, but Viewsonic have got the Custom and 3D overlay on top of Android Froyo absolutely spot on.

I think in all honesty resolution wise the 3D interface is absolutely pushing the capabilities of the phone but performance wise very very good. This interface with Gingerbread and a faster processor and SHD graphics would be an absolute monster (take note VS, keep the momentum going and produce us a high end option also).

It was surely worth the wait and irritations and will report back in a few days when it has had a good run. :D

Upvote 0
be-careful about getting the right bands.

generally when an operator lists their frequencies like this: 850/2100 900/1900 etc..

the first band is the primary (so 850 or 900 in the above example), it will have 100% coverage within the cell providers network, the second frequency is for overflow, it will have very limited coverage and will only be found in large cities where there is mass population. You don't even need to have the second frequency on your mobile to have a good experience, but if you only have the overflow frequency then you will be very disappointed.

I am not 100% sure if this is the case in USA, it will be worth checking coverage maps but smaller countries it definitely is.

Upvote 0
Anyway, it looks like the V350 may not be suitable on Telstra next year. That also rules out the T8888 and the Lenovo A60. Next best options may be the GSmart 1315 (but only 256 MB RAM) or the Motorola XT531 (likely to only be released in Asia).

That said, analogue TV was supposed to have been discontinued by 2008, then 2010, now 2012, so on that form, the 2100 MHz band may be around for a few more years...
Yes, you are pretty much out of luck with this on Telstra. There will be patches of 2100Mhz apparently but they Telstra want you on 850Mhz.

Upvote 0
First of all, thx to all users posting here.

I think we forget the basic thing about dualsim phones. A that is - true dual sim. I mean - being available on 2 SIMs at ANY time. So - making a call (or some data transf.) on 1st sim a still be available to recieve a call on 2nd sim. That should be the elementary functionality for dual sim.The name for this varies - Active Dual SIM (using two recievers) or Dual SIM Dual Standby (one reciever).

I

Upvote 0
Has anybody the link to these russian/chinese forums where are custom firmwares to Lenovo A60?

I added the link to the Russian forum to the wiki (can't post a direct link here yet).
You can use Google translate the follow the conversation and read the instructions.
I've ordered an A60 myself and if nobody did it by then, I'll try to add the missing languages to the ROM using the translations from the G11i ROM (which should be compatible since they use the same chipset).

Upvote 0
Quick update with Viewsonic V350.

I can confirm that the phone is Dual SIM Standby and not Active as hoped. Effectively if you are on a call with one SIM, the other SIM is unavailable and would divert to voicemail etc.

Had a few glitches with the software and there are a few limitations on Marketplace being Froyo based.

90% happy :D..........just wish it was (a) higher spec and (b) Active SIM. :(

Reactions: P1rat3
Upvote 0

I can confirm that the phone is Dual SIM Standby and not Active as hoped. Effectively if you are on a call with one SIM, the other SIM is unavailable and would divert to voicemail etc.

Had a few glitches with the software and there are a few limitations on Marketplace being Froyo based.

Hi, I'm looking forward to reading your detailed review later. Especially interested in the battery life and the quality of the GPS...

Upvote 0

What are the software glitches you have encountered?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones