• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Encryption Tool to Share Google Docs Windows to Android?

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
What I really want is an encrypted clipboard, so I can do language translations on desktop Windows and then copy and paste those over to the Android clipboard, without putting my translations into clear text. You can simulate this more or less by having the same word document open from Google Drive on both the desktop Windows and Android device. As you paste from Windows, the text shows up a few seconds later in the Google Docs document on Android. The problem of course is that none of that is encrypted.

Is there an encryption tool that works on both Windows desktop and Android that could be used to encrypt a Google docs file and still have that be writable from both sides?

What I really want is an encrypted clipboard, so I can do language translations on desktop Windows and then copy and paste those over to the Android clipboard, without putting my translations into clear text. You can simulate this more or less by having the same word document open from Google Drive on both the desktop Windows and Android device. As you paste from Windows, the text shows up a few seconds later in the Google Docs document on Android. The problem of course is that none of that is encrypted.

Is there an encryption tool that works on both Windows desktop and Android that could be used to encrypt a Google docs file and still have that be writable from both sides?

Alkemi

https://www.alkemized.com/index

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Maybe it is just me, but that user interface looks like it was written by a cryptographer for other cryptographers. Not friendly at all.

It's free, the two ports are for windows and Android, and and it's very good. Don't overthink it, I'm just a normal user and have found it to be quick and easy. Personally, we use irc as the communications medium of choice, irc itself is encrypted on port 6697 on most servers, and it's easy to bury stuff there using Alkemi, but you can send alkemized text over any medium. All you really need to do other than copy and paste text into and from the text windows, is "set key", "alkemized", and "de-alkemize".

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
What I am trying to achieve is that at the endpoints I just using ordinary text editing applications. I want a layer in between that creates all the encryption, transparently. Something like Boxcryptor would do that, but the Android app comments talk about their tool not working well. For a static encryption tool, I wanted to use something like Axcrypt, but once again the Android app comments say their Android app does not work well.

Upvote 0

Do you have to actually use Google Docs? How about using Microsoft's services instead like Office(Word) and OneNote? It's integrated into Windows, and MS has Android apps as well(included with Samsung phones). They AFAIK are fully encrypted. I use them myself, mainly OneNote and Office, and nobody else can see or access my stuff, unless I want them to.

Although Google Docs itself is encrypted for online, via HTTPS, and the only users who can access your documents are the ones you allow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have to actually use Google Docs? How about using Microsoft's services instead like Office(Word) and OneNote? It's integrated into Windows, and MS has Android apps as well(included with Samsung phones). They AFAIK are fully encrypted. I use them myself, mainly OneNote and Office, and nobody else can see or access my stuff, unless I want them to.

Although Google Docs itself is encrypted for online, via HTTPS, and the only users who can access your documents are the ones you allow.

I don't want to rely on any commercial cloud provider for the encryption layer. I just don't trust it and I don't know who goes in through back doors.

Upvote 0
As a "Plan B", is there any application that works well on both Windows and Android that can be used to encrypt the individual data files on Windows and then decrypt them on Android? Basically a "ZIP" type application with encryption that works....

RAR. Or Zip for that matter, I just prefer RAR.

Windows: WinRAR, 7zip, or Peazip.
Android: RAR or Zarchiver. They all have encryption options and can read each others' archives.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones