1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root best gingerbread rom/kernel for EVO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pdxquilmes, Apr 14, 2011.

1. pdxquilmes

pdxquilmes Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey everyone,
    First time poster/rooter/flasher here. I successfully rooted my phone this afternoon, and I'm wanting to flash to a gingerbread ROM. I'm looking for the best 1-2 punch for rom/kernel to do so. I'm looking for a stable build and I think I've decided to use CM7 (thanks to reading all the threads) but I'm clueless as to which kernel to use. Any suggestions? and why?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. mbancroft

mbancroft Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    yo
    yo
    Well if this is your first u may want to stick to a sense rom. There ALOT eaiser to work with and asop Roms reguire a lot of tweeking to get them to run smoth ...... But savage kernel is one I use if I am running an asop rom

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Cm7 ran smoothly right after I flashed it. But I did have to do the infamous GPS fix. Other than that, it runs fine and fast with the kernel it came with.

4. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 30, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    MIUI 1.4.8 Gingerbread works fine for me, flashed it last night and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). GPS works, supposedly bluetooth works (haven't tried yet) and runs smoooooooooooth.

MIUI rom comes with everything you need, kernal (unless you want to flash another), sms programs, sprint apps gone, etc. I've been an MIUI user since I rooted a while ago, sense annoys me now that I don't think I could ever go back.

toolnumbr5 likes this.
  5. Baze

Baze Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Noobie here...but a quick learner! Can you help me out here?
    What exactly does ASOP stand for? What does Sense mean? What is the difference between a Sense and ASOP Rom?
    Do you know which kind MikFroYo is?
    Thanks for any help you can give!

6. Baze

Baze Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    What is the infamous GPS fix for CM7?

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    CM7, MIUI, and other AOSP-based custom ROMs have issues with GPS when you first flash it. But there's a fix for it that involves flashing back to a Sense-based ROM, flushing A-GPS data, having the phone relock with the satellites, and then flashing back to the AOSP ROM.

I was reading the CM7 github notes, and they had marked that as a blocker bug for v7.0.0 stable. I'm still running release candidate 4, so I'm not sure if it got fixed, or if they deprioritized the bug... Technically, blocker means the release can't go live until it's fixed, but stable 7.0.0 is out, so.... too lazy to check the release notes at the moment.

Tags: