• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best grocery list app?

Cool, I'll start working on building up the web interface for it. Shouldn't be hard -- since it's an API already. Let me know what else I can add/fix/change/undo/etc ;)

Quick suggestions:

- make the categories editable so we can have the categories we need/use
- a useful feature in Our Groceries is to be able to change which list an item is on when editing that particular item
- they also allow to delete all crossed off items on a list at once
- not sure how useful "Quantity I have" is, but it's not really a hindrance either, I just leave it at 0.

I love the integration of the barcode scanner, and I really like how clean the UI looks. Thanks for a sweet app!

Upvote 0
Quick suggestions:

- make the categories editable so we can have the categories we need/use
- a useful feature in Our Groceries is to be able to change which list an item is on when editing that particular item
- they also allow to delete all crossed off items on a list at once
- not sure how useful "Quantity I have" is, but it's not really a hindrance either, I just leave it at 0.

I love the integration of the barcode scanner, and I really like how clean the UI looks. Thanks for a sweet app!

Excellent suggestions. I'll start working on implementing some of them :D

Upvote 0
Just started using OurGroceries this weekend - very solid app, with cross-platform support and a good web interface.

I don't care about "running totals" of prices, because I don't want to be inputting them as I shop to be honest.

Prices are for wimps! ;-)

Yeah - I never used any price tracking/info, too much going on w/just keeping up with what I need and what I've bought. :D

If To Market did phone/web/phone syncing, I'd still be using it, love that app, but it's standalone only...

Upvote 0
Cool, I'll start working on building up the web interface for it. Shouldn't be hard -- since it's an API already. Let me know what else I can add/fix/change/undo/etc ;)

I'm enjoying your app too! Now i need to set up my husband and see how well the syncing works. Super easy to use and clean UI. I like the idea of running totals though. I see you have the option of inputting prices. Could it be that if you use the pricing feature that it will do a shopping cart total? Great job!

Upvote 0
I'm enjoying your app too! Now i need to set up my husband and see how well the syncing works. Super easy to use and clean UI. I like the idea of running totals though. I see you have the option of inputting prices. Could it be that if you use the pricing feature that it will do a shopping cart total? Great job!

Ahh, the price field. Initially I started coding up the running totals stuff and hit a point in writing the app that I figured: "I have the field there and it syncs, I can always add the price totaling later". So I focused on implementing everything else first just to get the app on the market. Also I had no idea if there was any demand for a running total. So, I'll add that to my "todo" list.

Later today I'll be working on the move/copy functionality per psychoswim's suggestion. Following that up with a "delete all crossed off items". Then hopefully I can work on the running totals portion. I need to figure out a sleek way of doing it that can be enabled/disabled based on the user wanting it.

Reactions: nananoob
Upvote 0
Just tried OurGroceries, great app. I'm not so concerned about syncing and have an Optimus with low app space, so I use "Check and Done" instead (I share lists with dropbox or email if I want to sync). It does almost the same thing (except give you the grocery item choices), in less space and with more readable UI. Once I get a Triumph, I'll probably switch to OurGroceries, but it's a bit overkill for my needs.

Upvote 0
I have used both GroceryIQ and OurGroceries. Though I liked the built-in categories, units of Measure, ability to scan in items, and Favorites list in GroceryIQ; GroceryIQ syncing between phones was very unreliable and slow.

Though OurGroceries does not have any of the above nice features, the ability to Sync flawlessly and quickly between phones was the most important feature I needed. OurGroceries fits that bill. Since my wife and I believe in getting grocery shopping done as quick as possible, we divide and conquer. Because of the nearly instantaneous syncing we are able to go to different parts of the store or even a different store to complete our shopping in half the time.

I will try Shopriant if it has reliable, quick syncing between phones. All other features are just icing on the cake!

Reactions: lane2go
Upvote 0
I have been using the tadalist.com web site and have been generally happy with it. It's a web page that works in any browser, so it's really easy to sync with; my wife can add the half-dozen items she forgot to put on the initial list while I'm on the way to the store and I'll see them when I get there.

The problem is that I only have marginal connectivity at best in the stores where I do most of my shopping, and often it drops to zero bars. With the previous version of the tadalist.com software, that was only a relatively minor inconvenience: each item had a checkbox, and even when I was offline the checkbox worked (although moving a checked item to the bottom of the list only happened when I was in a part of the store where I had a signal). However, they just changed how the list works on my phone, and there's no more checkbox: the only way to identify that an item has been bought is when it moves to the bottom of the list and is shown with a strikethrough, and you can only make that happen when you're connected to their server.

So what I'm looking for is an application that has good synchronization via a server like tadalist.com but is also functional when I'm in a dead zone in the store (i.e., shows me what I've bought and updates the server once connectivity is restored). Do either of these fill that bill, or are there others I should consider? I really don't care about recipes and master lists and stuff like that; I just want a list that syncs well but works locally when I'm offline.

Thanks for any suggestions.

afaik, OurGroceries fits that bill :)

Upvote 0
Free 'Our Groceries'. Works across iOS, Android, and Blackberry phones.

+1

If I'm shopping and someone adds an item at home on the PC or Tablet, it pops up on my phone several seconds later.

It allows you to assign items to groups and I'm using supermarket aisles - I click to add Icing Sugar and it pops under the Heading Aisle 5. I only have to assign Icing Sugar to Aisle 5 once.

An example of brilliant design.

Upvote 0
+1

If I'm shopping and someone adds an item at home on the PC or Tablet, it pops up on my phone several seconds later.

It allows you to assign items to groups and I'm using supermarket aisles - I click to add Icing Sugar and it pops under the Heading Aisle 5. I only have to assign Icing Sugar to Aisle 5 once.

An example of brilliant design.

I started using this app too but I use stores instead of isles. We always buy certain products in the same store so that's mighty convenient too!
Even my mom uses it now, and that's saying something!

Upvote 0
Do any of these apps juggle aisles within stores?

A few yr ago, I was playing with a demo version of a desktop only grocery program whose name I can no longer remember. It allowed you to set up the contents of different aisles in different stores. So if I wanted cereal and told the program I was going to store A, it printed out a list with cereal in aisle 5, but for another store it might print out aisle 7. Their site also allowed subscribers to contribute store maps, so you didn't necessarily have to map out each store yourself.

This would be useful for me because I switch stores depending on where I am - like if I'm leaving work I go to one store, but if I'm starting from somewhere else, I might choose a different store.

Upvote 0
Lot of comments on running totals here, but none seem to mention the most important reason for them - incorrect pricing at the register. I keep a close eye on shelf prices and register prices and almost invariably something is wrong - and never in my favor. Being able to input prices as I shop and then keep an eye on it at the register would be awesome!

Upvote 0
I am a new smart phone user and can't seem to figure out how to update OurGroceries from my computer to sync to my phone. I really want an app that has that feature. How do you do it?

Nevermind. I found my own answer. Really enjoying everyone's input to the question of the best grocery app out there though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones