• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Keyboard Applications for Android?

fmshaon

Lurker
Jun 27, 2010
I would like to use some advanced and user friendly qwerty keyboard application in my newly bought HTC desire. I have already seen some good reviews on "Swype", "Better keyboard", "Ultra keyboard" etc. I would like to have your feedback in this regard. Please share with me, whether you are using default keyboard or some custom keyboard application. :)

Swype all the way. Takes a little bit to get used to, but once you've got the hang of it, its far superior.

I also used the HTC_IME modified keyboard before swype, and quite enjoyed it. It would take my vote for second best! (At least for my device)

Can you please tell me, what's special in "HTC modified keyboard" than default HTC keyboard? And also where I can get "HTC_IME modified keyboard"?

Thanks for your help. :)

Upvote 0
+1 for SmartKeyboard Pro.
And when you don't like the Desire trackball, SmartKeyboard has 4 way arrow keys :D

Harry

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Brother, can you please tell me from where I can buy Smart Keyboard PRO? I wanted to find it from Android Market from my HTC Desire. But I didn't find it in the market. Isn't it available for HTC Desire?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately for those of us new to the android experience, unable to bet Swype at this time.:(

I tried SlideIT Pro but opted out before purchase became permanent (24 refund period from time of purchase). The sliding effect was not as functional for my usage. Additionally, the file was quite larger than I expected (almost 2mb).

I'm trying SmartKeyboard, free version. I'll comment on it later.

Upvote 0
shapewriter is better than swype
i just dont like that when in landscape the keyboard doesnt get wider

im using slideit now. its pretty good. when you go landscape the buttons get bigger (to make it easier to type like its supposed to be)
plus you can make short cuts, like type WFB and its type whats for breakfast if you got that programmed.

pretty cool

Upvote 0
Anyone try Touchpal (Cootek)?

TouchPal is my keyboard of choice for Android (and it was for Windows Mobile as well).

The killer feature for me is the keyboard layout that doubles keys up (i.e. one key for "q" and w"). It allows you to type much faster without worrying about hitting little keys (although they have a layout with single keys as well).

The only issues that I've been having with their beta is the fact that my default keyboard layout changes on it's own from time to time and when clicking on a predicted word, no space is put after the word.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones