• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Keyboard feature Google offers! - Gboard

steve

Developer
Administrator
Apr 19, 2011
York, PA
codeversed.com
I recently started using this feature and it is a life saver. Takes me back to how much I loved the track ball back in the day :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170213_083004.jpg
    IMG_20170213_083004.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: Boterhoven
Anyone switch from Swiftkey to Gboard? What makes one better than the other?
I'm considering switching to Gboard because of some useful features that Swiftkey doesn't have yet (text editor {a real time saver- THANK YOU GBOARD! Swiftkey has arrow keys but I still have to hold/drag to copy, paste, and select which is a hassle when it comes to highlighting a large selection of text}, glide on the spacebar to move the cursor {Swiftkey has this but it doesn't work for me coz you have to swipe the spacebar to get to other languages, Gboard found a solution by having a dedicated language key instead}, glide from the backspace to highlight and release to instantly delete multiple selection- if you accidentally do that, just tap on the suggestion strip where it shows the previous deleted selection {on Swiftkey, you can gesture left anywhere on the keypad to delete a word- but Gboard's is more efficient coz it's not limited to just words but per lines/selection}, emoji search {Swiftkey has emoji prediction but it's a hassle when I look for certain emojis and can only rely on their suggestion strip that doesn't suggest all related emojis to a word}, GIF maker {Swiftkey has sticker maker but I don't use those nearly as much as GIFs- I don't even use stickers}), but...

the lack of a clipboard on Gboard makes me hesitate. I use that feature a lot when revising something and it's just as useful as the text editor feature... But I use/need it more than the text editor. Also Swiftkey's (Dvorak) layout looks better, has better placement, and it has the backspace key exactly where I want it, which is away from the enter key.
bcc2eaae8154a0f7697138d8c578f9aa-full.png

Compared to Gboard's (Dvorak) layout:
4a818110de7302a24bc699f3ba1537c4-full.png

Swiftkey also offers better predictions (text + emoji) which makes it more efficient and faster to type on. It really stays true to its name haha. Gboard's alternative symbol/numpad layout looks good too. So... I kinda wish Swiftkey and Gboard could combine so I could get the best of both worlds but for now, I'm stuck with choosing just one. I choose Swiftkey but if Gboard could have that clipboard and prediction then maybe I'll switch. I could bear the odd layout if it meant more functionality and efficiency.

Upvote 0
I have been using Swiftkey keyboard for many years & very much satisfied with it.
I have installed Gboard 2 days ago for a change & find it as good as Swift key & if any thing, better in certain things.
1. This has a large number of very nice themes to choose from.
2. Prediction is very good after a bit of a training. It quickly learns our writing patterns. After 2 days, I find I hardly need to type a word in full.
3. Selecting the text & editing is easier.
4. Voice typing is 100% accurate particularly in Telugu, our native language. It's time consuming to type in Telugu but the excellent voice typing makes it very easy & convenient.
5. Yet another way of typing is by handwriting. This method also is quite accurate in at least 70% although I did not find the need for it.
6. Can delete typed words or sentences by swiping towards the left on back space key. Comes in handy if you are not satisfied with what you have typed just now.
7. One can get important symbols by tapping on the shift key if the number row is set to be displayed permanently. The number row is replaced by the symbols when the shift key is touched. One can also get these by long pressing on the stop key.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones