• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best Keyboard?

crazyxpro

May 16, 2012
So I just got my phone and felt that the Swype keyboard was great, but then realized how it outrageously drained my battery. Then, I switched to the stock LG keyboard, which is god awful since the autocorrect function sucks and its hard to correctly type words the first time around.

What do you guys recommend in terms of the least battery-draining keyboard that doesnt completely suck?

let me reiterate, my MOST IMPORTANT issue is the battery life. if there are as efficient or better keyboards than the stock one that have better features ill be a buyer right away

just dont need the tools if its gonna be worse for my battery, and dont care for the "advertised" battery efficiency, just reviews from you guys

Upvote 0
im using the gingerbread one now but "LG keyboard" still shows up as using over 25% of my battery?
also, do any of these low-battery spending keyboards have any good autocorrect? seems iphone's stock keyboard has a great autocorrect we cant mimic? switching over from blackberry to full touchscreen makes typing a pain without autocorrect..

Upvote 0
which one drains less battery

gingerbread keyboard.
IceCreamSandwich keyboard.
or
Swiftkey x

also if u know which one is the most responsive please let us know! thanks!

Swiftkey has the most battery, and works the best, followed by ICS and gingerbread, I'm not sure which is less, but both are very close at least. I prefer the look of ICS, and I personally think the autocorrect it better, but that's probably placebo. I personally think the ICS one looks better as well, though both are similar.

Android autocorrect kicks iphone's ass if you get a decent keyboard, ics alone I think is better, though swiftkey again wipes everything else off the board at the cost of battery. Thing is, I think the hemmorhaging battery for the keyboards is unique to the connect, or maybe to LG phones, I've never seen such a high cost on any of my family's phones for the keyboards (HTC and samsung)

Upvote 0
Swiftkey has the most battery, and works the best, followed by ICS and gingerbread, I'm not sure which is less, but both are very close at least. I prefer the look of ICS, and I personally think the autocorrect it better, but that's probably placebo. I personally think the ICS one looks better as well, though both are similar.

Android autocorrect kicks iphone's ass if you get a decent keyboard, ics alone I think is better, though swiftkey again wipes everything else off the board at the cost of battery. Thing is, I think the hemmorhaging battery for the keyboards is unique to the connect, or maybe to LG phones, I've never seen such a high cost on any of my family's phones for the keyboards (HTC and samsung)

Since I don't use the autocorrect option or dictionary or something like helps me when I'm typing... I think i gonna stick to the gingerbread...
All I care when I'm typing is speed and precision!

About battery life this phone is very strange Im sure there s something in background that is killing the battery, today I turned off data wifi gps and almost didnt use the phone
no phone calls and the screen maybe it was on for 5 minutes in 10 hours and battery came down from 100% to 80%!
Hope next updates fix this problem

Upvote 0
Since I don't use the autocorrect option or dictionary or something like helps me when I'm typing... I think i gonna stick to the gingerbread...
All I care when I'm typing is speed and precision!

About battery life this phone is very strange Im sure there s something in background that is killing the battery, today I turned off data wifi gps and almost didnt use the phone
no phone calls and the screen maybe it was on for 5 minutes in 10 hours and battery came down from 100% to 80%!
Hope next updates fix this problem

Swiftkey has a beta version out there that you can sign up for. Overall it's very intuitive and works very well.

Upvote 0
any keyboard with prediction will waste your battery so its best to get a keyboard that doesnt mess up your keystrokes and qhat works best is an almost white background on black keys and smart keyboard pro is by far the best keyboard to get if u dont want prediction or correction and want to save battery. its like 2% use on my device and i almost never make a mistake regardless of hownfast i type. i use the iphone-like theme. customize it youll see what i mean as you go through the preferences

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones