• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Launcher for DX (Including Free Ones)

I rocked LPP since I got my DX on launch day. I felt that since I paid for it I shouldn't ditch it. Well the other day my phone was just bugging down for some reason and I decided to take a plunge and uninstall LPP and install Go Launcher. I really like the long press pop ups for the icons; the up/down screen gestures; the amount of screens and how easily they're added and removed; but I'd say the coolest feature is the app drawer. It's semi transparent and if you don't specify a background for it it uses your wallpaper. It has different configs for organizing apps along with three tabs: all, recent, and running. Moving icons/widgets from one screen to another is really nice as well since you can drag the icon/widget to the edge and the screen previews show up and you just drop the item on the screen you want. The ONLY thing I miss are the LPP widgets. Mainly the agenda widget. If anyone knows of something close to that please LMK. I'm currently using jorte and its nice but the LPP agenda widget was just so well executed with its easy month-to-month scrolling and easy switching to events. But I'm really diggin' Go launcher.

Been using LPP for a long time as well and like it really well. Today though, after reading several posts about Go Launcher I thought I would give it a try. But for some reason I can't seem to find it. I can find Go Launcher EX (is that it?) and Go Launcher themes, but where is Go Launcher?

Upvote 0
Been using LPP for a long time as well and like it really well. Today though, after reading several posts about Go Launcher I thought I would give it a try. But for some reason I can't seem to find it. I can find Go Launcher EX (is that it?) and Go Launcher themes, but where is Go Launcher?
Yes, the current version is called "Go Launcher EX".

Upvote 0

It is here. And yes, it is Go Launcher EX.

I've been a LPP user since I got my X and did too just switch to Go Launcher. So far I am liking Go Launcher and notice less lag and fc's.

I also just switched from Handscent to Go SMS and am liking that move as well.

Upvote 0
I started out using ADW, but it got a bit laggy after a few months (I think some extra features slowed it down). Zeam is terrific if you want something lean, mean, and fast. Its only real downside is the lack of themes and a lot of the cool bells and whistles that you find on most other launchers.

My current favorite is Go Launcher EX. It's almost as fast as Zeam, but packs most of the features of ADW or LPP. When you combine that with the seamless integration of GoWeather, GoWidges, GoSMS, GoFacebook, GoCalendar, etc., it's a great package. You can get an almost complete visual revamp of your device, and it's all themed up the same way.

You can backup your settings (Home Screen - Menu - Preferences - Backup/Restore) so that if you flash a different ROM, all you have to do is load the app, then restore the settings from your SD card.

+1 to those who have mentioned using Home Switcher. It's invaluable while you're experimenting with multiple launchers.

Ultimately, you just need to try a bunch of them out, see which one best suits your needs, and go with it. Happy launching!

Upvote 0
I had been using LPP for a long time and decided to give GO Launcher a try this week. I have it set up and it seems to run smoother than LPP. It seems to have all the features I liked in LPP like the 3 docks to scroll through. I really like the different App drawer transitions also. I will probably stick with it until the LPP rewrite is done and see how it compares at that point.

Upvote 0
I have 5 launchers currently installed on my phone and use Home Smack to switch between them. From A to Z they are: ADW Launcher EX, GO Launcher EX, Home (Moto), Launcher Pro Plus and Zeam. LPP and ADW seemed to suffer from slow screen redraws after 2.3.3 so I haven't been using them much lately. GO is my favorite full featured launcher and they've added a bunch of new home screen and app drawer transition eye candy that's very cool. Minimal issue with screen redraw, but nowhere near as bad as LPP and ADW. Zeam works well but is more minimalist. Since the GB update, the stock Moto Home launcher is much improved IMHO. No screen redraw issue whatsoever and the profiles and new app drawer groups features were a nice improvement (GB app drawer groups can be used with other launchers via shortcuts).

I've also tried Regina 3D which I liked a lot but it was terrible after GB and recently I tried Nemus Launcher. It has some nice features with folders, but on my DX, swiping from one home screen to another wasn't very responsive so I uninstalled it.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums here and I was reading through this thread. I kinda had a few questions for you guys. What is a launcher? Can I use one of these on a unrooted Droid X that has Android 2.3 on it? And can I always get rid of it if I dont like it? I don't mean to sound clueless here but I am just trying to learn my way around the android OS and learn new and interesting things.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums here and I was reading through this thread. I kinda had a few questions for you guys. What is a launcher? Can I use one of these on a unrooted Droid X that has Android 2.3 on it? And can I always get rid of it if I dont like it? I don't mean to sound clueless here but I am just trying to learn my way around the android OS and learn new and interesting things.
A launcher is a Home replacement app that you use to design and customize the layout and look of your home screens, the screens where you put all of your apps and widgets and where your dock bar is. It's fun and easy to play around with different launchers, most of which are named in the various posts in this thread. First thing you need to do is install an app like Home Smack or Home Switcher, this will allow you to go back and forth between various launchers with ease and choose any of them as your default launcher (the one that your phone goes to when you hit the home hard key). Then go back into the Android Market and try out one or more of these other launchers. Most of them have a free version that you can install to try out with paid versions that offer more features. As stated in my post above, I currently have 5 launchers installed on my DX that I switch between and my phone is unrooted with Android 2.3.3. If you decide after using one for awhile that you don't like it, you just uninstall the launcher app just like any other app on your phone. Good luck!

Reactions: BKline2003
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones