1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best messaging app out there? Help!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by JennAntics, May 10, 2011.

1. JennAntics

JennAntics Lurker
    None

May 10, 2011
    So I've pretty much been using Handcent since I got an android phone because it's exactly what I'm looking for in an app, but the only drawback is that it constantly crashes and sends duplicate texts when I restart my phone UGH! It is extremely annoying!

So I've set off to find a new messaging app that I will love just as much ...That's when I came across Go SMS, it seemed perfect, which for the most part it was, so don't get me wrong ...the only thing that irked me was the fact that you can't turn off auto punctuate! I've already turned it off under my phones settings, but when I use the Go app, it still auto punctuates everything, Do any of you know if there's a way to turn it off? It would be the perfect app except for that :/

Any other suggestions? Those seem to be the best two I have come across so far ...but if you know another just as good, please enlighten me :)

Advertisement

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I used Handcent for a long time (1 1/2 years) and tried chomp also. They are pretty much the same but handcent is better

Today after reading a couple threads on here I tried GoSMS Pro. I am so glad I did, the app is AWESOME. Everything handcent has and more. Works perfect!

3. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    There are numerous threads on this subject in the forum already but at the end of the day you'll just have to try some of the app's for yourself and your needs.

4. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    I may be in the minority, but the default messenging app is fine for me, and very reliable, I just wished that it had pop up notifications like the iPhone does.

Today I installed SMS Popup. Perfect. Very happy with it.

If you want a new SMS app, the top 3 are listed here already.. GoSMS, Handcent, Chomp.

I also really like Kik Messenger, and it's perfect for group chatting. However, it's not really SMS, so all of your recipients must also have it installed on their phones. They have apps for both android and iPhone. It used your data plan and does not count against your texts (if you don't have unlimited).

5. jmonahan

jmonahan Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    Started using GO SMS a few weeks ago and love it!. Even has Facebook Chat Integration.

6. bluejoc

bluejoc Lurker
    None

May 14, 2011
    I agree, GOsms is fantastic

7. dudybug

dudybug Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    soft engineer, tpf
    okc
    just got the s2 skyrocket yesterday after switching from sprint htc evo due to altercation over replacement (& we had 15 years with sprint & insurance).
    signed up to google+ but not familiar with google+ op yet. am david alexander on google+. have 2 fone questions about s2.
    1. using the msg app on the s2, i rcv 'failed' even tho recipient receives msg.
    2. unable to find any clock app the even comes close to the HTC clock, kow of anything like the HTC clock?
    thx, david

8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    1. I'm not sure why you are getting that error
    2. Try Beautiful Widgets

Click on the Google+ link in my signature, that will open my page, then just click add to circles

9. jonesaus

jonesaus Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    World Shaking
    Kansas City, MO
    Check out MindPush - the new location-based, anonymous social media app

MindPush