• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best method to access files from SD card over wifi?

Small wonder: AppleTalk was included in the original Macintosh released in 1984, but is now unsupported as of the release of Mac OS X v10.6 in 2009 in favor of TCP/IP networking.

I don't know if your "small wonder" comment was in response to my statement that I "don't have AppleTalk" because the OSX 10.6 info from 2009 that you quote has no bearing on my statement. Just because OSX 10.6 does not support AppleTalk I think you might have assumed that AppleTalk is no longer a networking option for anyone. That is NOT the case. OSX 10.6 might not have AppleTalk capabilities but OSX 10.5 or earlier would.

I just DO NOT HAVE AppleTalk functionality with my computer running a version of OSX older than 10.6.

The reason I brought up AppleTalk...and perhaps I should have been MORE CLEAR with my latest post above...is that I was actually looking for a wifi connection option with AUTO SYNC capabilities. I have found various options like "Cheetah Sync" (I believe it is called) and one I found today called "My Sync Center" with ONLY have Windows compatibility. There was another app that seemed to suggest the ability to Auto Sync through an AppleTalk connection but I was hoping for something OTHER than AppleTalk to connect and auto sync :(

Upvote 0
here's what i have going now.

installed SwiFTP on my phone.
added the FTP server (phone) as a shorcut
added my /sdcard directory from the phone as a shortcut to windows 7's sendto so now i can just right click a file, sendto, and choose my phone as a destination.

it works similar to having my SD card in the phone acting like it's a hard drive.

I just signed up here just to thank you. Everyone seem to just use airdroid and other browser (http) based apps, needed a solution, thanks, it works like a charm

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones