• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Minutes, SMS, 3g Counter??

mcchriswood

Mar 3, 2010
What do you guys use??
Ive currently installed 3g watchdog and droid stats.
Im worried one of them is draining my battery but they are essential to me.
Ive also seen there are a few more :
Stats
Tariff Watcher
Call Meter NG

What do you guys recommend out of the 5 i have mentioned??
Are you using any and extremely happy?
Has anyone else experienced battery drain with any of them

how long in genral are you getting out of your battery??

I have the following setup:
Facebook - 4 hour sync
Twitter - 4 hour sync
Gmail - 3 accounts syncing (1 full sync, 2 mail only)
Email - 1 pop checked (per hour)
Beautiful Widgets Home Widget - 3 hour update cycle
Settings Profile ( location checking using Lat / Long only)
Guardian Anywhere pulls latest edition overnight.
Google News & Weather on 12 hour sync

GPS is left on.
Wifi is left on when at home
Bluetooth is left off unless in use

Typically I'll charge overnight in the desk dock.
At the weekend I usually get down to about 40% running without charging from 100% at about 8 / 9 am through to 12 / 1am. That's with using the phone normally during the day (about 15 - 20 emails spread across the accounts, a handful of texts, some net use - basically instead of my macbook).

Since I first bought the N1 in Feb I have seen improvement in battery use over time (whether due to using it less once the initial thrill wore off), and a further improvement with Froyo.

I don't find it too bad overall - I've been a heavy smartphone user for longer than I'd care to admit and always buy a dock, car charger and secondary mains charger when I get a new phone.

Upvote 0
whats the advantage of a dock over a mains charger then??
I have gps on for about an hour with wifi whilst constantly using the web or app market probably twice a day
No email accoutns.
About 30 texts a day and about 10minutes of calls.
about 10 -12 widgets
ive charged the phone 3 times since i have had it.
Im using 100% battery by midnight and start use at 6am

Upvote 0
whats the advantage of a dock over a mains charger then??
I have gps on for about an hour with wifi whilst constantly using the web or app market probably twice a day
No email accoutns.
About 30 texts a day and about 10minutes of calls.
about 10 -12 widgets
ive charged the phone 3 times since i have had it.
Im using 100% battery by midnight and start use at 6am

I use my phone as my alarm clock, and I like the dimming & dock screen functionality when using the dock at night. I also use it as part of my rule set within Setting Profiles to silence all notifications and rings overnight (with a whitelist for emergency calls).
I also use the dock at work to top-up the charge - the pins approach means i can easily grab the phone on and off charge as required; this outweighs the fact the dock can't cope with cases (I just slip the silicone case off when charging). I also find it easier for reading emails, texts etc, and keeps the battery topped off if listening to music.

Your battery life sounds pretty reasonable to me though - I find constant gps usage (eg navigation etc) to be the only really sure fire battery killer. I can use 30% of the battery in a 40 minute drive (just tracking speed and direction).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones