• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Music/Media Player App

Licensing is probably the biggest issue I can imagine. Since it is a free OS, they can't include every proprietary format made. Especially, XVID videos, since its proprietary. Getting permission and licenses costs money. Many Linux distro's don't even come with MP3 playback for this reason (you have to download a package separately). And since MPEG-4 and H.264 are most popular and used video formats, that's what they went with.

Xvid is an open source codec, so licensing isn't an issue. And there is still a TON of xvid content out there. It may not be used so much these days for new content, but IMO there is sufficient existing content to warrant supporting xvid. My Zune & Xbox 360 support even support it!

Upvote 0
Xvid is an open source codec, so licensing isn't an issue. And there is still a TON of xvid content out there. It may not be used so much these days for new content, but IMO there is sufficient existing content to warrant supporting xvid. My Zune & Xbox 360 support even support it!

Rock Player supports xvid (among many other divx codecs) and has worked great on all of my media. Make sure you download the correct version, since there are versions for different processors (arm6, arm7,)

Upvote 0
I tried rockplayer and it would not play a 720p video in either mp4 (h264/aac) nor xvid without studdering badly or slo mo video. It also does not output to the hdmi port. If I have to recode to smaller video size, might as well do it in EVOs format and use the built in gallery player.

Perhaps someday rockplayer will be able to handle HD and the hdmi port. I'll keep the free version in case I need to play something the built in app cannot.

Upvote 0
Hi all!

I recently acquired my first ever smartphone, so I'm all new to Android and to this forum. I have a question and this seemed like the right place to ask it.

Is there a media player which gets the ID3 tags correctly for .wma files? You see, I listen to a lot of classical music for which the automatic tagging tends to be rubbish, so I've spent a *lot* of time re-tagging all my files. Having now acquired this new phone I wanted to copy some music over, but the built-in media player doesn't seem to be able to read the tags on .wma files, only on my few mp3 files. Nor does it allow me to see my music just in folders, which would be OK for me, though not quite as good as functional tags. My ideal player would detect the tags on both mp3 and wma, and allow me to see it all arranged in folders as well. Oh, and actually, being able to deal with .flac files as well would be a bonus. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
is there an audio app where you can turn on things like bass booster, treble booster, etc; and is there one where you can press the back button from the song screen to album screen to albums screen like an ipod/iphone?

Mixzing has an equalizer and so does Astro media player but from my experience Mixzing is a better player.

As far as the track back to albums I thought they all did that , not sure though don't really listen to individual albums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones