• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Music/Media Player App

I tried installing both Doubletwist and realplayer earlier today in order to have a look at both apps. Both look good, however.... after a few hours my Galaxy S stopped recognising the SD cards (brick). Tried off and on, tried off, battery / SD out, back on and phone just refused to recognise SD cards.

I tried plugging the phone into a car charger and immediately got the well known MTP application icon flicking on and off (people experience this when having problems connecting to Samsung desktop software, kies). Usually this is a problem with long filenames i.e. more than 16 characters after the .

so... Deleted both apps from the phone, turned off then on and SD card were back.

Unsure which of the two caused the problem, but just a word of caution to other SGS owners.

Upvote 0
Hands down, the best music player I've tried is 'Music Player Pro'. I actually wrote about this on another thread and am working on a large review of it. I've used all the major music players at some point, looking for that one cure-all solution. bTunes was my favorite for awhile, however since the developer abandoned it, i've moved on knowing that it's bugs are only going to get worse with new builds. MixZing is very feature rich, but the interface is boring and not very intuitive. TuneWiki has some really unique and cool features, but still isn't ideal. DoubleTwist looks nice but you can't even create a fricken playlist on the fly and there are some other standard music features it lacks.

However, a few weeks back I found Music Player Pro which had just recently released and I can finally say that I've found a rival to iphones music player. Not only that, but the developer is EXTREMELY responsive. Just a week back, people were asking for the ability to scrobble and the developer already added it.

You can download and pick album artwork for albums, search for lyrics, retrieve artist info, use various skins, search library by artist/album/song/genre/playlist/folder. You can create playlists on the fly. You can filter out songs by keywords. In the future the dev is adding the ability for custom skins, editing ID tags and more..

Also, the current skin is sorta meh, but a new skin will be launched in the next week or so that features custom vertical and horizontal layouts.

How do I know this? Well, having been so happy to finally find a great music player, I created a skin for the player and have been talking with the developer ever since and he is working on integrating it now. I know I probably sound like I'm advertising, but honestly, I've been in the same exact boat as all of you and I won't be making a dime for the skin. I, as you probably have, have just been looking for that music player that 'does it all', and I'm just excited to actually find one that is not only great already, but has so much potential to be greater. As I said before, I thought bTunes would be that player, but with the developer abandoning it, I moved on.

I'll post some screenshots of the updated skin here a bit later.

Upvote 0
yxflash didn't work on Android 2.1. It plays .mov only sound without video, as for .flv - doesn't plays at all.
And don't take Zimly: it crashes while generating thumbnail of unsupported video [codec], and hothing prevents it from thumbnail generation ;(
Meridian is the best free so far, though, didn't try Cinema yet.

Upvote 0
yxflash didn't work on Android 2.1. It plays .mov only sound without video, as for .flv - doesn't plays at all.
And don't take Zimly: it crashes while generating thumbnail of unsupported video [codec], and hothing prevents it from thumbnail generation ;(
Meridian is the best free so far, though, didn't try Cinema yet.

Sorry to hear that Zimly is crashing on you. We heard something about this a few weeks back and implemented a fix that should prevent Zimly from crashing if the codec is unsupported. If Zimly is still giving you problems, why not drop by Community-powered support for zim.lyand explain what is happening in detail so that we can figure out how to fix it.

Upvote 0
Big problems after downloading Dolphin player and attempting to watch a streaming video. My phone turns on, but every time i slide the bar down to unlock the phone it puts a warning that the HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

And it makes me force close. Phone is completely unusable

Someone please help. i feel so disconnected.

Upvote 0
Hands down, the best music player I've tried is 'Music Player Pro'. I actually wrote about this on another thread and am working on a large review of it. I've used all the major music players at some point, looking for that one cure-all solution. bTunes was my favorite for awhile, however since the developer abandoned it, i've moved on knowing that it's bugs are only going to get worse with new builds. MixZing is very feature rich, but the interface is boring and not very intuitive. TuneWiki has some really unique and cool features, but still isn't ideal. DoubleTwist looks nice but you can't even create a fricken playlist on the fly and there are some other standard music features it lacks.

However, a few weeks back I found Music Player Pro which had just recently released and I can finally say that I've found a rival to iphones music player. Not only that, but the developer is EXTREMELY responsive. Just a week back, people were asking for the ability to scrobble and the developer already added it.

You can download and pick album artwork for albums, search for lyrics, retrieve artist info, use various skins, search library by artist/album/song/genre/playlist/folder. You can create playlists on the fly. You can filter out songs by keywords. In the future the dev is adding the ability for custom skins, editing ID tags and more..

Also, the current skin is sorta meh, but a new skin will be launched in the next week or so that features custom vertical and horizontal layouts.

How do I know this? Well, having been so happy to finally find a great music player, I created a skin for the player and have been talking with the developer ever since and he is working on integrating it now. I know I probably sound like I'm advertising, but honestly, I've been in the same exact boat as all of you and I won't be making a dime for the skin. I, as you probably have, have just been looking for that music player that 'does it all', and I'm just excited to actually find one that is not only great already, but has so much potential to be greater. As I said before, I thought bTunes would be that player, but with the developer abandoning it, I moved on.

I'll post some screenshots of the updated skin here a bit later.

Which one are you referencing?(creator..?..) I have found several in the market...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones