• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best navigation app vs. just buying stand-alone GPS

albiewan

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
Long Beach CA
Since I am a courier and have been very reliant on VZ Navigator, I see the Eris does not have this option. I understand that 2.0 upgrade will include access to Google navigation. However, after reading various threads on here, and with battery life being an issue, I wonder if I should try to load a good navigation app now, then wait for 2.0 or just bite the bullet and buy a stand-alone GPS unit for the vehicle. Any thoughts on this?

Honestly, in your line of work, I'd go with a standalone unit.

However, try an existing app and see if it suits your needs first.
Yes that does sound logical. Sometimes logic gets in the way of plain old fun doesn't it? If I decided to load a navigation app for testing purposes, which one is the best? I realize that's a loaded question because "best" is subject to so many interpretations. I see some free nav apps but you get what you pay for so free might not do it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
You could use a car charger on the Eris, which would make battery life a non-issue.
I've been using Nav4All on Eris, it seems to work just fine.
That said, *I* prefer my stand alone Garmin to Nav4All.
I'd suggest download a free app for the Eris to see how you like it. And if you have a friend with a GPS, maybe you could borrow that for a few days. That way you'd have a better idea of what works for you, rather than just listening to us (as wise and knowledgeable as we may be).

Upvote 0
You could use a car charger on the Eris, which would make battery life a non-issue.
I've been using Nav4All on Eris, it seems to work just fine.
That said, *I* prefer my stand alone Garmin to Nav4All.
I'd suggest download a free app for the Eris to see how you like it. And if you have a friend with a GPS, maybe you could borrow that for a few days. That way you'd have a better idea of what works for you, rather than just listening to us (as wise and knowledgeable as we may be).
Yes thanks and you are all so humble too!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones