1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best Network for Early Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by TozyJay, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

Hey all - been a while but I'm back!

So I'm used to taking advantage of Verizon's early upgrade opportunity ever 13 months or so. From what I hear, they are doing away with that. Anybody know what carriers are more early-upgrade friendly? I don't think I've ever stuck with a phone for 2 years. Patience is NOT my virtue. :D

Advertisement

2. Tslide91

Tslide91 Android Enthusiast

With tmobile I usually get a partial upgrade after 11 months, or buy a used phone for cheap. The G1 I got for $225 just a couple months after it came out, used, with not a scratch on it. I <3 sim cards

3. TozyJay

Meant to post this thread in the Android Lounge - my bad.

Thanks for the feedback about T-Mobile! I'm still weighing my options. I really hate contracts but I'm too hooked on staying up to date with the latest technology to go prepaid. :)

4. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert

Verizon isnt touching early upgrades. They phasing out new every two. Completely differant programs. New every two is offered when you wait the full two years(wich you dont), and is only a 50/100 credit on top of the subsidized price. Their early upgrade schedule is untouched, and you will still get the subsidized price early.

5. TozyJay

Thanks for the input nlsme, but I actually spoke to two different reps who said it is going away. Just like the new every two, customers will no longer get an upgrade at 13 months - only at 20 months.

6. gallandof

gallandof Android Expert

just to verify (I work for verizon) we ARE doing away with annual upgrades (hopefully this doesnt last long and its just until 4g is fully deployed) as well as new every two credits.

So if you have an annual upgrade this will be your last one. you will need to wait 20 months to upgrade again.

I think they are doing this to slow the influx of customer who may switch to 4g so the network doesnt get overloaded straight away.

7. TozyJay

Thank you for the clarification!

So far it's looking like T-Mobile is the most upgrade-friendly network. Sprint has early upgrades but I hear they are doing away with it as well.

8. Tslide91

Tslide91 Android Enthusiast

Only thing about tmobile with android is, they suck at pushing updates.

My mytouch slide was "supposed" to get froyo last summer. Still on Eclair.

9. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Thread moved player!! (its been lonely in your bushes lately:D)