• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best network for Nexus 4?

lightsleeper23

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2011
Salt Lake City
Im going to be getting a nexus 4 soon, and i want to make sure i get the best out of the device. I am looking at simple mobile. If anyone knows about them, is there 4g plans that quote hspa+ speeds the one that would be compatible with the nexus? Or is that only for actual 4g phones? It doesnt say lte, but hspa+, yet it calls it a 4g plan? I dont want to pay extra for 4g if im not actually going to get any faster speed than with a 3g plan. Butni want to take advantage ofnthe hspa+ connection and get the fasted speeds i can get in my area.

Or are there better plans from a different network that will offer unlimited for the same prices? Help appreciated thank you.

I just set up my Nexus 4 on Solavei. Considering it's my first smartphone it went surprisingly well. They use the T-Mobile prepaid network, and depending on your data usage may be a better value out the gate than the plans offered directly by T-Mobile.

I believe Salt Lake City is on the current T-Mobile HSPA+ list - a search on "163 T-Mobile hspa 42 markets" should confirm this.

Solavei is doing the affiliate thing, and they will pay you back for signing other people up. I don't want to be accused of spamming my affiliate link, so if you would like it or more detailed information please send me a pm.

-M

Upvote 0
I'm on Simple Mobile. Works great. The 4G plan ($50 unlimited 4G data, text and min) works for the Nexus 4 With HSPA+. HSPA+ is what they consider to be 4G. The $40 plan is 3G with the first 250 MB at 4G. The first 2 weeks I had my Nexus I had the $40 plan. The 3G speeds were about 250 kbps (for me at least) so I definitely upgraded. I'm in Louisville so T-Mobile has HSPA+ here and I see about 7 mbps download. No configuration was needed, it worked out of the box plus not contract. In my opinion it's the best option.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm on Simple Mobile. Works great. The 4G plan ($50 unlimited 4G data, text and min) works for the Nexus 4 With HSPA+. HSPA+ is what they consider to be 4G. The $40 plan is 3G with the first 250 MB at 4G. The first 2 weeks I had my Nexus I had the $40 plan. The 3G speeds were about 250 kbps (for me at least) so I definitely upgraded. I'm in Louisville so T-Mobile has HSPA+ here and I see about 7 mbps download. No configuration was needed, it worked out of the box plus not contract. In my opinion it's the best option.

Hmm. So the first 250 MB are true 4g speeds? I don't think I've gone over 250mb in a long time since I use Wi-Fi 90% of the time. But when I am out and about I'd like to get fast speeds. How much 4g data do you get with the $50 plan? I would imagine they throttle at some point?

Upvote 0
I am planning on traveling in a few weeks to Orlando, Florida (I live out of the US). I will be there for a week and I want to have my Nexus connected to a data plan so I can use it anywhere, specially for GPS. I want to buy a prepaid simcard and activate any data plan for the week I'll be there. Which carrier do you recommend me to use in this case?

Upvote 0
Hmm. So the first 250 MB are true 4g speeds?

As far as I know they are true 4G speeds. In fact when I had my Nexus on the $40 3G plan I got the same speeds as I am getting now on the 4G plan for the first couple days.

I don't think I've gone over 250mb in a long time since I use Wi-Fi 90% of the time. But when I am out and about I'd like to get fast speeds.

Keep in mind that once your speeds are in the 4G range it is easy to hit 250MB. You can always try it out and see. Worst case is you don't get 4G speeds towards the end of the month and upgrade once the month is up. You can't upgrade in the middle of a cycle on Simple Mobile for some reason.

How much 4g data do you get with the $50 plan? I would imagine they throttle at some point?

To my knowledge it is unlimited without throttling. Of course I'm sure if you abused it (tethered and streamed HD video all month) it might become an issue.

Upvote 0
So just because you're using a faster speed, loading the same webpage take more data? Weird. Yeah I think simple mobile sounds good for me. I'm unclear on straight talks data usage policy; the word is there is a "per day" limit of 100 or 200 mb and people have been known to just get cut off completely. I usually don't use that in a month, but you never know, if I was out all day one time maybe I would want to use it a lot. And I don't even know if you can get the same hspa+ 42 speeds from them.

Upvote 0
So just because you're using a faster speed, loading the same webpage take more data? Weird.

Good luck, I think you will be happy with Simple Mobile.

Of course, if you load the same webpage you will use the same data. My point was to the fact that once you get faster speeds, especially with Nexus's quad core things like downloading and installing apps is so fast that there's less hesitation to do it on mobile data since it's comparable to wifi. But yeah if you keep the same habits it will be the same.

Upvote 0
Also there have been mention on forums of unlocking a single LTE band on the Nexus. I was in Chicago recently though and couldn't get it to work.

My understanding is the LTE band that can be unlocked isn't in wide use in the US - but I believe it is the band that T-Mobile is planning on implementing through the course of this year. Last I checked they were in a testing phase in a small number of cities.

I think the people who've had the most success are using it with a Canadian carrier.

-M

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones