1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best Non-Phone Device?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by silentrancor2, Jul 7, 2011.

1. silentrancor2

silentrancor2 Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    First post. Hoping I'm not asking a question already asked a million times.

Of course I know this is subjective but I wonder: What is everyone's opinion as to the "best" non-phone android device for general use?

I've been dragging my feet on getting a mobile device for a long time. My wife and I have been served very well with prepaid phone service for a while and I am not interested at all in paying over $100 monthly for a 2 Year contract to have a smartphone (verizon & at&t only in my area).

I've really come to think the Archos 43 is what I want for the following reasons:
    --Large Screen, 4.3"
    --Powerful
    --Price $149 online retail (at least for now)
    --Can have the Marketplace after hack

I've also considered the Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4.0 which has yet to be released (Probably because of fear of further lawsuits from Apple). But it'll probably be very pricey.

Any opinions?

***Note*** - I'm an experienced computer repair technician. If there's a device that's awesome after a little bit of "tuning" I'd be cool with something like that as well.

Advertisement

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    You're wanting a tablet then? or a PMP type device?

3. silentrancor2

silentrancor2 Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    It could be either. The Archos 43 is called an "Internet Tablet". The Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4.0 is considered a "PMP" but they both do the same things.

Notice my question was about Non-Phone Android devices in general. I don't really care about what it is technically called - just how good it is.

This is mainly to ask: "If you have a device similar to what I list - what do you think about it?", "Are there devices coming out in the next couple of months that will be similarly priced but trounce the devices listed?" - etc.

I have done alot of research but there IS NOT much information comparing Non-Phone Android devices - unless I just haven't found the resource yet.

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I think the only non-Android phone devices are mostly tablets, and a few niche Android phones / clocks, etc.

For the sake of discussion, I'll move this to the Tablet general discussion.