• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Password Manager App??

Unfortunately, when people give their valuations of Password Managers I don't know if they are looking for the same things I am looking for.
I'm looking for (in no particular order):

A. Has auto-exit or similar - if I give my phone to someone and have forgotten to close the password manager, they can't read my passwords.
B. Allows multiple files - I work for other people and I want to keep their passwords seperate from mine and each others
C. Allows me to put records in folders and sub-folders so that I can navigate quickly to the record I am looking for - categories and searches are only OK alternatives
D. Imports and Exports CSV files so that I can be confident that I can get my data to a new program sometime in the future or get my old data into it even if it takes a bit of effort
E. Allows me to copy records to act as templates for a new record
F. Allows me to use copy and paste to transfer data to another record or another program
G. Has a reasonably large notes field
H. Doesn't require network access - How do we know that the programmer isn't getting a list of my passwords?

Other people seem to be interested in:
I. Can Sync with my desktop - I and H together might be infeasible?
J. Enters directly into a browser
K. Is free
L. Has good support

I have been using Keylord on a Mobile Windows 5 phone. If I use 0 for bad, 1 for sort of good and 2 for good, its rating is:
A0B2C2D0E0F0G1H2I?J0K1L1

Does anyone know of something that that is near A2B2C1D2E2F2G1H2 or better for the Android?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hi Garry,

Thanks .kirby

Looks a good option except for the klanger of the single file (B0). It is important for me to be able to give someone their passwords without it being mixed up with other people's and editing other people's out is a dangerous option.

I am using the encrypt facility of Note Everything until I can settle on an appropriate program. Note Everything isn't a password manager. I had it for it's other abilities. I keep an encrypted note for each client/purpose and put each field on a different line with a bit of indentation to make it easier to read.

The summary so far is:

A (Auto-exit), B (Multiple Files), C (Folders), D (CSV I & E), E (Copy Records), F (Copy Fields), G (Notes), H (No Network), I (Sync), J (Browser), K (Free), L (Support)

A2B0C1D2E0F1G2H2I1J0K2L1 - secrets-for-android
A0B2C1D2E2F2G2H1I2J0K1L? - Encrypt facility in Note Everything

Thanks

Garry

Upvote 0
First of all I probably will never use on my mobile phone, I'm not quite convinced I should be using the phone for paying bills, logging into bank accounts, etc.

Another reason is I use a combination of dropbox -> truecrypt -> keepass which can't be done on the phone yet as far as I can tell.

Lastly, KeePass is my favorite on Windows and Linux, it has the ability to autofill, and you can sort of script it if the site you are using has two different pages for username and password.

KeePass also allows multiple accounts, multiple folder types, and a timeout feature that you can set. So far I haven't any free app that's better.

Upvote 0
Thanks negreenfield

I think there are two different ways of thinking about password managers. There are many, and they seem to be the majority, that use them as an easy way to login to lots of web sites. For these people it is important that the manager syncs well because the passwords need to be on all the devices they may access the site from.

I use a password manager to store anything that is secret that I am likely to forget. eg combination locks, codes to identify me on the phone (eg phone banking), computer logins for different computers and different people I help, WEP passwords, domain keys, my wife's age and website logins. For this use I need it on something that is always with me and the only option is my phone.

These two options aren't mutually exclusive of course.

keePass looks like a good option. I will evaluate it for Android soon (Thanks to Brian Pellin for doing the port) and add it to the summary.

All the best

Garry

Upvote 0
Thanks negreenfield

I think there are two different ways of thinking about password managers. There are many, and they seem to be the majority, that use them as an easy way to login to lots of web sites. For these people it is important that the manager syncs well because the passwords need to be on all the devices they may access the site from.

I use a password manager to store anything that is secret that I am likely to forget. eg combination locks, codes to identify me on the phone (eg phone banking), computer logins for different computers and different people I help, WEP passwords, domain keys, my wife's age and website logins. For this use I need it on something that is always with me and the only option is my phone.

These two options aren't mutually exclusive of course.

keePass looks like a good option. I will evaluate it for Android soon (Thanks to Brian Pellin for doing the port) and add it to the summary.

All the best

Garry
Good point. I pretty much only use KeePass for logging into my financial institutions as security is of utmost importance, and I only do this from my laptop or desktop. I've never considered having any complicated passwords for other sites.

Upvote 0
hi i still have a question about keepass operation. this app stores the username and pw. when using it how do you get this information into the user and pw fields? with my roboform pass word program, once you click on the desired site the fields are filled automatically and you are logged in with no other keystrokes. robo form does not have an android version.

Upvote 0
Hi af4,

regarding your question:

hi i still have a question about keepass operation. this app stores the username and pw. when using it how do you get this information into the user and pw fields? with my roboform pass word program, once you click on the desired site the fields are filled automatically and you are logged in with no other keystrokes. robo form does not have an android version.

As far as I see it, the Android-app version of KeePass does not (yet) have this feature. Only the desktop-version of KeePass ca do this.

Beep.

Upvote 0
I'm trying Keepass for the first time, and in general, I like it. However, is there a way to get the passwords to display when you access your database? They show up as asterisks, and I know you can copy/paste them, but for the relatively frequent occasions when I need the password for a standalone machine, I just want to look at it and type it in on my other machine, without have to copy/paste it in a notepad first.

Upvote 0
I'm trying Keepass for the first time, and in general, I like it. However, is there a way to get the passwords to display when you access your database? They show up as asterisks, and I know you can copy/paste them, but for the relatively frequent occasions when I need the password for a standalone machine, I just want to look at it and type it in on my other machine, without have to copy/paste it in a notepad first.

Hi Trackstar

On the advice of this thread I have downloaded Keepass and am very happy with it. Still playing though.

I have a droid and to see passwords I hit the menu key and choose show password. I also found an option in the settings menu such that the passwords are always visible. I didn't find it, though, until I upgraded Keepass last weekend.

Upvote 0
Hi Trackstar

On the advice of this thread I have downloaded Keepass and am very happy with it. Still playing though.

I have a droid and to see passwords I hit the menu key and choose show password. I also found an option in the settings menu such that the passwords are always visible. I didn't find it, though, until I upgraded Keepass last weekend.

Yeah, apparently you can change settings within the app, so I fixed it that way. Still learning.

Upvote 0
They sent me a tweet regarding the new app. It seems that it is only for Roboform Online accounts. I don't think you can directly sync data from PC based Roboform.
Actually, if you synch data on your pc accounts, you get the data on your Android account. So if you set up synch on your pc, the data is there. The way the app works on android is strange and unnatural, it is like a bookmark. Try it.

Upvote 0
I also used SplashID for years on my Treo's. I bought the Android version for my Droid but after hours of trying to get it to sync I'm still stuck. I switched to keepass.

I have used Splash ID for iPod Touch, and now for the Droid. I have never had any problems syncing, and the desktop software works equally as well as the one for iPod/iPhone. It is a bit expensive, but it is worth the money.

Upvote 0
I have used Splash ID for iPod Touch, and now for the Droid.

But you did notice that the Android version is a lot older then then the iPhone version Version 4.6.1 vs 5.2.

Might be Ok for you as an existing customer but I don't think it is acceptable. I try Keeper instead, which was updated this very morning, and be back when I know more.

Martin

PS: I left SplashID some feedback as well :D.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones