1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best Password Manager App??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DGalt, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Kaystoy

Kaystoy Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    I really want to edit my last comment about SplashID. I finally got it to work and I think I know the problem....my wifi....from what I have recently read, something about adhoc wifi connections? I was trying to sync from my laptop which has a wireless connection through a linksys router...no go. Then I tried my desktop which is directly hooked to my internet...now all is well. I hope this helps somebody who is knocking themselves silly trying to sync.
    :D The new version of SplashID really does sync Very Easily!

Advertisement

2. danachee

danachee Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Just as a hint for those of you having sync issues, the PC and the phone need to be on the same subnet. What splashid does is to send a broadcast packet out on its network. The PC is listening on a given port (UDP/4998 for those that really care :)). So, if your PC is wired, and your phone is wifi, you will need to make sure they are on the same network.

Another gotcha is that if your PC has multiple interfaces, splashid desktop may pick the wrong one. The only workaround I know is to disable all but the interface you need, start splashid, then enable the others.

Hope this helps.

3. AnthonyGears

AnthonyGears Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    I'm going with "Secrets for Android" Roger Tawa Jr. Hopefully the UI gets updated along with more functionality.

4. gazzumatteo

gazzumatteo Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2010
  5. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    KeePass does allow you to modify on the phone the key is not installing the 2.X version of KeePass on your PC's but rather the 1.X version. The Andoid version only reads the 2.X keypass file. It is able to edit the 1.X version. I have Keepass on my pc's and my phone. Along with dropbox to share a single password file. Now I am able to edit my passwords anywhere.

6. gizbug

gizbug Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Ewallet is the best IMO, hands down!

7. bt46

bt46 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    I just joined this forum so I could add a couple of comments to this thread.

First, thank you! I had purchased Keeper from Callpod last spring soon after I got the droid. It cost $30 but was fairly easy to use and nicely synced with my PC over WiFi. Then, they changed their business plan, and disabled the WiFi syncing unless I paid a yearly subscription. Wow. I decided not to do any more business with them, went in search of a new password manager, came across this thread, and elected to try KeePass.

So far, so good. In fact, real good. Per the very helpful tips, I'm using the 1.x version of KeePass on my PC and using DropBox to "sync" with my droid. As pointed out, I can edit the KeePass entries on my droid and they are "synced" to my PC via DropBox. So, thanks to all who made it very clear how to do this.

One sort of dumb question: so far, I'm leaving the KeePass file with my passwords in the DropBox folder, both on the PC and the droid, so the upload/download process is instantaneous and requires no extra steps. This appears to work fine, but I suppose I'd be smart to put a backup copy somewhere in case something bad happens. Does anyone have a comment on whether it is good/bad to keep the password file in the DropBox folder?

So, thanks again. In part, I wrote this all down in case it helps someone else get started.

BT

8. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    I used SPB Wallet when I was a WinMo user and bought corresponding desktop sync version. SPB Wallet is truly awesome, with a password generator and autofill and autocapture. Wished they had an Android version. I'm hoping they'll go there someday!

Until then, I've been using Tiny Password Free. It uses a pattern lock master password, which I like, and can import CSV. Doesn't have a desktop version. Has a semi-auto fill. If you launch from the app, it completely fills for you. If you surf to site on a browser, you use the Tiny Password input method to help you autofill.

I'm keeping SPB Wallet on my desktop as I do 80% of my surfing on my computer. I don't go to too many sites on the droid that require passwords, except Forums :) and Tiny Password is fine for that.

9. mbrouns

mbrouns Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Fully agree. I actually like lastpass VERY much but the $1 per month is not going to work with many, many people. I'd equally easily pay $20 to $30 for this (not $50 though)

10. 0sync0

0sync0 Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    I use LastPass on the desktop but also will not pay $1 a month for it on my phone.

I don't like using a web browser on a small screen and use it very little on the phone.

I was pleasantly surprised that the LastPass app for my iPad is free and it works very well.

11. Lyrrad

Lyrrad Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Latpass. Worth $1 per month equates for me. Very easy to use.

12. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I've been looking for a replacement for "Password Agent" because PA doesn't have mobile support. So hopefully, this will help others.

For anyone that's tried PA, it's just brain-dead simple to use. I also use Roboform for my weblogins, and I have to bookmarklet app. The only issue is, if there's no network connectivity, I can't access my roboform DB, so that's not an elegant solution.

I bought and paid for SplashID. It's not bad, but it's slower (than PA) to start, and the DB sync'ing can be problematic. Once you figure it out, it's not bad, but the idea of replicating the database between desktop and mobile version is not very elegant. And having to install a Iphone version and an Android version is a little silly. BTW, the sync'ing of DB is **SLOW**. So it was annoying for me.

I tried Keeper! but again, it seemed a little sluggish. I can't remember if it was Java based or not, but I have an aversion to anything Java do to lack of speed.

I didn't bother with Keepass because it has the same issue as roboform. I'm happy with Roboform and didn't need another web browser solution.

So I tried B-folders and it's pretty similar to PA in terms of simplicity. It doesn't do much and that's perfect for me. Sync'ing to my droid was very easy and not at all finicky like SplashID. It doesn't have Iphone/Ipad support, but it imported all the entries from SplashID just fine. So for now, B-Folders it is. For me, it's the closest thing to PA.

13. daddybot

daddybot Lurker
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    I've used SplashID for several years on a Palm and just moved to a Droid2, hoping I could continue. Unfortunately, you need to be on a WiFi network to sync and all of my usual locations are wired. It can't do it via Bluetooth (which it could with the Palm). Will any of the other packages with desktop versions mentioned here take a CSV file so I don't have to re-enter my database? SplashID needs to work on additional ways to sync.

14. rfreschner

rfreschner Newbie
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Not sure what OS you're using, but 1Password will take a CSV file and they have a SplashID import format, although I've never used it. 1Password has a great Mac version and a new beta Windows version. Syncing is via using Dropbox. I'm currently using the Mac version with my Incredible and love it and just downloaded the Win version, but haven't had much opportunity to use it yet.

15. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    Just found http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=safewallet. 256Bit encrypted and syncs with Dropbox. One-time fee for Android and one-time fee for Desktop, which has 12-day trial. Lifetime compatibility guarantee regardless of Tbd technology. Might be the way of the future.

I like it so far. But hope that they can set it to Autofill when you click on the associated link.

Lastpass does this, but uses their own browser, and they have a recurring annual fee, whcih I don't like.

16. mauiblue

mauiblue Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Lastpass is what I use to generate and secure my passwords. Since I have dozens of forums and websites that are password protected I wanted an app that would work between my PC and smartphone. Lastpass fit my requirements and it is very convenient and secure.

17. trav2001

trav2001 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Maintenance Repair
    Mesa, AZ
    Ok, So I'm lost...I've been using Keepass, but how on earth do you sync to dropbox and use it on android? I also have Keepass app for my android device...

18. rfreschner

rfreschner Newbie
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Just keep your Keepass file in Dropbox and open it from there on both your main machine and on your Android.

trav2001 likes this.
  19. trav2001

trav2001 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Maintenance Repair
    Mesa, AZ
    Ya, I literally just figured it out before I got the response. So I guess now all I gotta do is start working on getting my all my passwords changed to something new and saving them in Keepass.

Thanks for all the help! I LOVE these forums.

20. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Huge SplashID fan here; like others, dating back to my Palm days.

Love the syncability and password generation. Cross platform possibilities is a plus.

21. Crumm

Crumm Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Alaska
    We spoke and 1password listened. It is now available in the market.

22. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Hmm, thanks. 1Password looks much more polished (and faster) than B-folders. My search may continue (after having paid for SplashID and B-Folders! :)

23. Crumm

Crumm Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Alaska
    1password is a excellent app for mac computers, iPod touch and iPhone so I imagine after they get the android app fully refined that it will be great too. Even in beta form it works better than any others I have tried.

24. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Now that sounds ugly. What OS are you on? It has been quite reliable for me.

And, yes, B-Folders sounds intriguing.

25. Tato

Tato Lurker
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    I asked ascendo datavault creator an android version and i received a betaversion :)

Ask them for it if you like