1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best Phone Around??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sheshnag, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

After a lot of reading various review I decided to go for SGS2 rather than wait for HTC1X. Was it a mistake?

First of all coming from HTC Desire, I have found this phone has some + and some - points. I really appreciate the extra memory to install app. I had to root the desire to get any decent space. Camera is better. More games too. But hated the UI so use Go Launcher. I found the set up less intuitive that HTC. However recently I have found two major problems with the phone:

1. I found that apps could not be install to extra space provided in the phone. It needs sd card installed. Did I mention I install a lot of apps. I have got about 50 games, a lot of them bought.

2. Well I decided that I will resolve the issue by buying a 16gb sd card. Problem is that in the last few days I can not seem to use the sd card. Every time I try and use the card the phone goes into eternal boot loop. Thinking It is a card problem, I transferred everything to another brand new but smaller 8gb card. No luck!!

These problems are hindering me from enjoying the phone and making me regret not waiting for HTC1X. Also let me not even start on the stupid Kies.:mad:

Advertisement

2. Sorry forget that

3. Kie

Kie Android Expert

You sir made an excellent choice in phone :D

1. I have about 40 games on my phone and they all fit comfortably without the need of an sd card. I think you might be getting confused with terminology: The sd card that the phone refers to is the internal sd card with 16gb memory. So you can store up to 16gb of games, apps, music, etc on the phone itself without running out of space.

2. I'm not sure how big your games are, but if you are starting to run out of internal phone space and require an external sd card, get a sandisk...no more, no less. The phone is very picky with sd cards, and if you get a crummy one or even a branded one like kingston, it'll erase everything on the card and cause you lots of grief. Did you transfer any apps to the external sd before the bootloop issue or is it a brand new card?

3. You mentioned Kies not working. Kies issues usually point to incorrect driver installation on the computer. I personally avoid Kies because it's awful and I've switched to custom roms. As a side note, my username has nothing to do with that horrible Samsung software, it's my RL nickname! Happy coincidence! :D

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

Only 11.5GB that you can use for the storage. For apps, you only have 2GB which is used mostly for the exe files for big apps like gameloft games and for full like angry birds.

If you have an external microSD, then you can use the move to SD option which transfers a lot of data into the microSD card and frees up the 2GB memory. Example, if you move the angry birds, 18MB goes to the external microSD and 2MB is left in the 2GB phone memory. I also agree that getting SanDisk is best.

Kie likes this.
  5. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Oh yeah now I remember looking at my apps one time and it said only 2GB! I didn't really put the two together at the time :p

6. Sheshnag

Sheshnag Well-Known Member

Problem is the phone seems not capable of handling any SD card. I have Original Sandisk 8gb class 6, 4 gb class 2 and 16 gb class 10. None of them work. The phone is going back tomorrow If I can help it.

7. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Yeah sounds like an internal fault. You can just get a new one with warranty. It's a real shame that people get faulty products, cause when it works, it's an amazing phone!