• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best phone available now for use on Metropcs ?

I traded in my CDMA GS3 two days ago and got $300 store credit. You had to use it all at once for the purchase so I got the G stylo, and four other accessories and no cost :) so far the stylo is great. Battery is actually phenomenal but camera is meh.
I like that phone just wish it were at least a 1.5 or 2gb ram device...it'd definitely be in the sweet spot then. Still a nice device for the price. [emoji16]

Upvote 0
Shouldn't you get trade in credit for your CDMA phone at a MetroPCS store? If I was you, I'd buy the most expensive GSM phone you can with the credit, sell it/keep it as a backup and find a different phone to use daily. Most phones sold by MetroPCS are not that great.

Good thought, but credit Metro gives depends upon the CDMA phone you surrender. I was told at a Metro store the Motion has ONLY about $54 credit. Has anyone achieved more credit than that for a Motion ?

If one keeps the CDMA phone, then Metro charges for both the SIM card $10 and $15 to switch phones for a total of $25. If I give up the phone, the $54 credit can be used toward the SIM card of $10 and the balance of $44 can be applied to the monthly service charge.

So a loss of $25 by keeping the phone compared to a gain of $44 by surrendering the phone, yielding a $69 difference in the scenarios. Right ?

Last edited:
Reactions: starkraving
Upvote 0
It does have 2Gb of ram lol.
Not according to Boost, Phone arena or gsm arena...

Edit...funny the Metro site does say 2GB ...wonder why they got different specs and the same price point? Sneaky lol.
uploadfromtaptalk1434157585614.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shouldn't you get trade in credit for your CDMA phone at a MetroPCS store? If I was you, I'd buy the most expensive GSM phone you can with the credit, sell it/keep it as a backup and find a different phone to use daily. Most phones sold by MetroPCS are not that great.

But I'd be getting the Galaxy S4 (not from Metro) which seems highly rated.

Upvote 0
Not according to Boost, Phone arena or gsm arena...

Edit...funny the Metro site does say 2GB ...wonder why they got different specs and the same price point? Sneaky lol.
View attachment 89112
The T-Mobile/Metro version is 2 Gig. The CDMA version only has 1 Gig, according to @Ninjew on a different thread (can't remember now which one).

Upvote 0
Agreed...get the credit get the best thing you can. Sell it on Craigslist and buy a unlocked Moto X, OPO or used N5.

Upvote 0
I don't think corporate stores should charge you for the CDMA to GSM switch. I understand if they charge you for the SIM card, but a little persuasion may get them to lower or waiver it. With that amount of credit, I would get the LG Leon, pay a bit to get it unlocked and sell it. I can see a quick $80 for it for someone from T-Mobile being able to use it. For phones, I would recommend the One Plus One. I know their tactics for sales aren;t so great, but they now have it available with a price cut. They should support the phone for a long time, so for $250 (plus fees) you will have a long lasting phone.

Upvote 0
I don't think corporate stores should charge you for the CDMA to GSM switch. I understand if they charge you for the SIM card, but a little persuasion may get them to lower or waiver it. With that amount of credit, I would get the LG Leon, pay a bit to get it unlocked and sell it. I can see a quick $80 for it for someone from T-Mobile being able to use it. For phones, I would recommend the One Plus One. I know their tactics for sales aren;t so great, but they now have it available with a price cut. They should support the phone for a long time, so for $250 (plus fees) you will have a long lasting phone.

Stay away from the OnePlus One. A family member has one and has been nothing but headaches. Most of the problem have been software related. The new Oxygen OS that comes with the phone is complete garbage and full of bugs. The customer service is non existent. If the phone has any issues you are on your phone. The phone is fast and all but not worth it. Buyer beware.

Upvote 0
Stay away from the OnePlus One. A family member has one and has been nothing but headaches. Most of the problem have been software related. The new Oxygen OS that comes with the phone is complete garbage and full of bugs. The customer service is non existent. If the phone has any issues you are on your phone. The phone is fast and all but not worth it. Buyer beware.
I think only certain markets have Oxygen OS I just picked one up and its running CyanogenMod. So far seems pretty solid.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0

I think only certain markets have Oxygen OS I just picked one up and its running CyanogenMod. So far seems pretty solid.

Not only certain markets, but certain people flashed it on the phone as well (oneplus made it available to the public). I didn't because I still thought of it to be a beta test. Running cyanogenmod on mines as well and its doing pretty good.

Upvote 0

I think the only CDMA phone with a SIM before the GSM switch with metro was the GS3 so I didn't have to pay for SIM installation or anything on my stylo. As I said, the store credit you receive requires you to give up your old CDMA device to the dealer and you have to use your store credit right there and then.

Upvote 0
I think the only CDMA phone with a SIM before the GSM switch with metro was the GS3 so I didn't have to pay for SIM installation or anything on my stylo. As I said, the store credit you receive requires you to give up your old CDMA device to the dealer and you have to use your store credit right there and then.

Easy to do, since the credit balance can go toward monthly service.

Upvote 0
One Metro store said I could, another store said "no". It's wrong for them to make you lose a credit. You could have also purchased accessories.

Did you complain to the store manager?

Well I did buy accessories after being told I couldn't use it towards my bill. The salesperson actually asked the manager if I could but he said no. It was corporate so I whatever I guess. Maybe he didn't like that I'd get away with a free phone, accessories, AND free bill with my trade in value.

Upvote 0
Well I did buy accessories after being told I couldn't use it towards my bill. The salesperson actually asked the manager if I could but he said no. It was corporate so I whatever I guess. Maybe he didn't like that I'd get away with a free phone, accessories, AND free bill with my trade in value.

Two Metro Corp stores told me they would have applied credit to your account for monthly service. That's fair. Suggest you keep your paperwork and contact the corporate office.

Upvote 0
Thanks. What's wrong with amoled? Need to look up TouchWiz. Sounds dirty.
Touchwiz is just the name of Samsung's UI. It has a bad rep because it used to be so heavy on the phones. It adds so much more functionality to the phone and android in general. The problem with AMOLED is that some people complain that it over saturates colors even though Samsung offers different modes to change that

Upvote 0
Get the ZTE ZMax for $99
5.7" Screen
1.2 GHz Quad Core CPU
2GB RAM
16GB ROM (11.65 usable)
Provision for a 32GB SD Card although 64GB Cards are reported to work.
8MP Camera (Download "Open Camera" from the Play Store. Big improvement over stock cam.)
Records and playsback 1080P vids (Open cam lets you also set the Frame Rate on video recording.)
Gorilla Glass 3
3,400 mAh battery that lasts for days.
KK 4.4.4 (Minimal Bloatware)
Root capable
MP3 playback sounds great, especially with Dolby EQ enabled
4GLTE ( I got the $50 unlimited Data Promo plan.)

Yep, $99.00
You get a $49 Credit for your LG Motion, so after tax and activation, you'll spend about $65.00

I used to have the LG Motion, then got the LG Spirit and now I have the ZMax.
Once you go to a big screen like this, there's no going back.

Best bang for the buck phone by far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones