• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best phone for audiophile with expandable storage?

primem0ver

Lurker
May 16, 2020
I use my phone primarily for four things: as a phone/text device, as a flashlight, as a spur of the moment camera (have a nice camera for planned occasions) but most importantly, for portable music.

The Axon 7 by ZTE was without a doubt the the best phone for this when I bought it 4-5 years ago. The sound quality was second to none. I recently "upgraded" my phone to the Axon 10 which had the perfect hardware for my needs but the software was so chock FULL of bugs which were never fixed that I hated it (I never got ANY of the messages for any group conversations for example). On top of that it was stolen a few months ago. So now I am in dire need a replacement. If they have cleared the bugs by now (the group messaging bug in particular) I may give the Axon 10 another try but that phone isn't even on the hardware list here so not sure anyone knows about that.

I don't need/want an overpriced Zazzy screen phone so Samsung and similar brands are not an option unless they are unexpectedly cheaper. Frankly why people want something beyond 1080p for something so small is beyond me. (My price range is no more than $700). What I need is a 256 GB phone with expandable memory because I am slowly going to change my library to flac rather than mp3. That is the kicker. Several nice phones out there with the hardware I need except none of them have expansion slots. (The Axon 10 can be expanded to 2TB). Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones