• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best phone orientation for compass readings

The best orientation I have found is with the top of the phone facing the direction you are pointing, with the phone horizontal. This has been backed up with compass. Any other orientation and the compass may be close but won't be on. Which is funny considering now that they added compass inputs to google maps navigation, when in car dock it will show the wrong direction until you start moving. Google needs to program a correction when in the dock.

Upvote 0
The best orientation I have found is with the top of the phone facing the direction you are pointing, with the phone horizontal. This has been backed up with compass. Any other orientation and the compass may be close but won't be on. Which is funny considering now that they added compass inputs to google maps navigation, when in car dock it will show the wrong direction until you start moving. Google needs to program a correction when in the dock.

Cool...thanks :)

Upvote 0
Which is funny considering now that they added compass inputs to google maps navigation, when in car dock it will show the wrong direction until you start moving. Google needs to program a correction when in the dock.

I find that when the phone or normal compass is in my car, it always points in the wrong direction. The reason is that all the metal in the car screws up the compass. Once I take it out of my car, it works fine.

Google Maps navigation appears to use your direction of motion to determine your heading. This is actually how it should be. When I mount the phone in my car, it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel which means I need to tilt the screen clockwise a bit so that it is facing me directly. The orientation of the phone is not necessarily the same as the car. Once my car is in motion, Google Maps will correctly show my car's orientation based on the motion. If it did not do this, it will always show the car driving slightly diagonally.

Upvote 0
I find that when the phone or normal compass is in my car, it always points in the wrong direction. The reason is that all the metal in the car screws up the compass. Once I take it out of my car, it works fine.

Google Maps navigation appears to use your direction of motion to determine your heading. This is actually how it should be. When I mount the phone in my car, it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel which means I need to tilt the screen clockwise a bit so that it is facing me directly. The orientation of the phone is not necessarily the same as the car. Once my car is in motion, Google Maps will correctly show my car's orientation based on the motion. If it did not do this, it will always show the car driving slightly diagonally.

Technology nowadays is amazin'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones