• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best phone / service

Reba

Lurker
Oct 30, 2010
Hello,

Wondering if I can get some unbiased advise before committing to a 2 yr contract -- I just moved to an area where I cannot get any type of internet other than dial up or wi fi. I am a total beginner with the whole tethering so pardon my ignorance...but what is the best plan / phone if I want to be able to use my phone to connect all wi fi devices including my computer, wii (for downloading movies from net flix), etc. I do not want outragous bills. If it will cost more than $105/month then not interested as I can get a wi fi plan from cricket and android plan and have both unlimited for that price.

were do you live? i see you mentioned cricket which I believe is Canada so I cant help too much on the plans, but if you plan on using your phone to tether, and you know, be a phone, Id recomend going with a GSM provider.

Just for a quick perspective from a Verizon employee, the cheapest a customer could get what you wanted without rooting their phone, it would be around 90$, if you wanted unlimited everything and tethering it would be close to 150$. not to mention the cost of the phone. Although for something like this I would recomend Rootuing your phone and using the root only wifi tether app, that way you dont have to pay additional tethering fees and have no cap. which would save you about 20$ additional over those prices.

I cant speak for the other services, and am not sure if my information is even relevent for you, but there it is anyways :p

Upvote 0
Hello,

Wondering if I can get some unbiased advise before committing to a 2 yr contract -- I just moved to an area where I cannot get any type of internet other than dial up or wi fi. I am a total beginner with the whole tethering so pardon my ignorance...but what is the best plan / phone if I want to be able to use my phone to connect all wi fi devices including my computer, wii (for downloading movies from net flix), etc. I do not want outragous bills. If it will cost more than $105/month then not interested as I can get a wi fi plan from cricket and android plan and have both unlimited for that price.

On the 2year contract you are stuck. No upgrading for 24 months. Unless, of course, you go out and buy an unlocked phone. There is an option on the Verizon website, any many other providers website, for exchanging your phone. Its listed for example, as "activate a device" on the verizon website. If you are going to do all that though then you might as well just get the 1 year contract.

As for the large bills. You can eliminate that if you go onto the verizon website, or whoever your provider is .. website, and disable everything. Login and click on change features or change plan, whichever you want. For example, the 3G Mobile Hotspot, you don't need that. Most android phones come with wifi, so you really do not need that hotspot stuff. That btw, is an added $20.00 onto your bill.

I personally just go with whatever verizon or other provider is setting up on my phone when I am upgrading, with exception to my plan as its specifically for the deaf. Then when I get home I log on to the verzion website and change or eliminate all the stuff they added that I do not need or do not want.

I do not know who your provider is, but if you are paying $105 a month you are definitely getting ripped off. Most of the stuff you are doing you can do for free. For example, the wifi stuff; you can share and access wifi for free on most any android phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones