• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best phone tracking/security/lost phone app?

Reactions: PVS
Upvote 0
While there are many general tracking apps available Gadgettrak is the only one recognized and used widely by law enforcement. It is also the only program to be certified by at&t. It can even remotely video tape those who took your gear, and then this evidence can successfully be used in court to convict the perpetrator(s). And even if they change the sim card, you will still be sent the new number assigned to the phone. You can even use it with your camera. Here is a news report about one photographer who recovered $9000.00 worth of gear using it. It is by far the most professional program around for tracking/recovery. I use it on all of my stuff including my Macbook Pro and iPad. If you're serious about getting your stuff back after it's gone missing, this is the program to use :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the shoutout for PhoneLeash Mr Lucky!

A quick intro to our "lost phone finding PLUS SMS forwarding PLUS missed call notifying" app:

Phoneleash is light, and simple to setup: 1 screen, 2 maybe 3 fields to enter. No website registration and what-not needed. Once you've setup a password you can use it to send commands to GPS locate, ring loudly etc from any place an SMS can come out of (phone, Google Voice, HeyWire, email-to-SMS).

Doesn't need root, or admin rights. So it cannot remote wipe but hopefully your phone's just been misplaced :)

PhoneLeash can send to both email addresses (using data) or as SMS (no data connection needed).

And you can actually SMS and reply without the phone near you. Also get missed call notifications. This is reason enough to install PhoneLeash - its just so convenient not to have to walk downstairs to check who was calling/texting - just grab your handy laptop/iPad/DSi/Fire/iPod and look for a PhoneLeash notification in your email.

And for a cool feature - it can send out its last known location automatically as it is shutting down, as the batteries finally run dry. You'll be surprised how often that email or SMS makes it out of the phone in the last remaining second!

Please do take a look, and help me make a great app with your requests/comments - support A-T gearandroid DOT SEE OH EM

Thanks

Upvote 0
A new version of PhoneLeash went up onto the Android Market last night. Here is the full announcement.

PhoneLeash combines SMS, missed call forwarding with lost phone tracking. Since this thread is only about the latter, here are some relevant features:

- No holds barred phone locating: Fact is sometimes GPS doesn't work. You get a fix that is accurate but probably hours old. Cell/WiFi based location may provide a more recent fix, but less accurate. PhoneLeash tries both and if there is a tradeoff to be made sends you both location fixes - you decide which one to use.

- When you lose you phone inside a building - hotel, office - it may be impossible to get any coordinates. With PhoneLeash you can try a WiFi network scan, which responds with a list of visible networks, signal strengths etc. It may just give you a clue as to where your phone is.

PL-wifi.png

- Battery stats: If your phone is lost maybe you want to know how much battery remains.

PL-battery%20status.png

- PhoneLeash can send out phone location just as the battery is dying and the phone is shutting down (GASP - GPS At Shutdown Point).

And since PhoneLeash can use either SMS or data (email), you can track your phone even when it may not have data coverage.

Upvote 0
So, my LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile was stolen from me when I accidentally dropped it in a theater. They've hacked my facebook and twitter (but I changed my password, so that part is okay), but here's the thing: I dont have an app that was preinstalled on it before this happened, so I have Plan B. The problem is the phone is off, and I dont an app that can remotely turn it on, so is there any app that I can download on the market on my computer that will prompt it to turn on? Like any app, it doesnt even have to have just that capability, it just needs to turn on. It can be a game for all I care, but I need my phone back. PLEASE HELP! Much appreciated,

Dylan

P.S.- I'm new here, so Hi everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones