• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Place for Android Apps?

Folks,

I've been a dedicated user of Symbian for the last fewyears, so have genreally known where to look for certain apps. I've had a quick look and search for Android Apps, but there seems to be many different sites.

Is there one definitive site, a 'mega market' of all Android Apps or at least some personal recommendations any cares to list?

What I'd like is / are:

Joikuspot - or some method of turning the phone ( Desire ) into a Wi Fi hotspot.

Games.

I appreciate Joikuspot and Skype are downloadable for their respective sites, but they also listed on for example Nokia's Ovi Site.

TIA.

Reactions: OFI and nottmbantam
Upvote 0
There is an official skype client, but i think its only available on 3 atm. You can use fring though which lets you make calls over 3g with skype i think.

You can only turn your phone into a wifi hotspot when it is rooted. The Desire should be rooted in a fortnight when the developer gets back from holiday. I use this wifi hotspot app on my rooted hero and it works a charm.

Check out the list i made for my hero, most of which I still use on my desire Top 50 Apps for Android

You can also use:

AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...
Find great Android apps and games - AppBrain
Cyrket

Upvote 0
Thank you. Not got my Desire yet, just doing some basic research before going out there and taking the plunge.

The thing is, I bought the Nokia N97 as soon as it was in the shops, and looking back, I should have waited. So, this time, I want to make sure that the next phone is going to be the 'right choice'. Certianly, everything I've read so far is all positive.

Ok - next question - what all this 'rooting' business - is there a thread I can read?

Upvote 0
I would definitely say get this phone, it is the best phone on the market right now for sure.

Rooting is a very simple process, once someone has figured out how to do it. As yet it is halfway there, but the main guy doing it has gone on holiday for 2 weeks! It basically means to get root access to the phones file system, allowing a greater degree of customisation.

Upvote 0
Rooting basically gives you more access to androids core function and the ability to runs applications affecting these such as overclocking, and allows you to download custom ROMS(versions of android) other than the version provided by HTC.

Another big benefit is that soms of these ROMs(such as cyanogens mod CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.) allow you to save your apps to the SD card on your phone.

However, rooting does replace the default firmware on the phone, and should things go really bad, you lose the warrenty on the phone.

It really depends on how much you want the extra control compared to how willing you are of installing a non-official ROM.

Upvote 0
I could use fring as a short term measure, but prefer Skype as it has the ability to send SMS messages. I'm abroad most of the time,and find this a useful method of keeping in touch with the folks back home. In addition, I have also 'bought' an online Skype ( UK ) landline number, which I should be able to use on fring.

fring is good is in theory it also offer video calling ( which I cannot get to work on my N97 ) and also gives you access to MSN.

Athough it's a bit of 'swings and roundabouts', I think I'd prefer to have a fully functioning version of Skype.

Upvote 0
yup you can still download cracked apps
and you can still tether with PDAnet (on the market)
you can even control your pc with Phonemypc!! gotta love that app!!1

You don't need pdanet to tether, there is a mobile network sharing option on your settings. Downloading cracked apps is bad, because a lot of devs are doing this in their spare time, and the apps are so cheap there is no reason not to pay...

I would recommend rooting, purely for the overclocking and apps2sd, and the fact that I am yet to hear about anyones phone breaking during the process :)

Upvote 0
Is it possible to make an app available for download without Android Marketplace.

I have just finished designing my first full app that shows LIVE Train Departure times/routes & est arrival times.
Currently works for Train companies:
Southern
SouthEastern
SouthWest
Virgin
London Midlands

And only takes me about 5 mins to add others companies..

But don't really want to pay $25 to put it on the marketplace.

D

Upvote 0
There are other app stores, like slideme, but i dont know if they charge to put it up. You'll get less people seeing your app too.

Thanks, yep is free on there, they only take some of your profits if you sell it at a price

Cool My first app is live: feel free to give it a go, hoping to get some feedback/bugs.

This is only the first version, and only just finished, so sure it will have some bugs. lol.

https://slideme.org/application/dg83com-traintimes

Upvote 0
Is it possible to make an app available for download without Android Marketplace.

I have just finished designing my first full app that shows LIVE Train Departure times/routes & est arrival times.
Currently works for Train companies:
Southern
SouthEastern
SouthWest
Virgin
London Midlands

And only takes me about 5 mins to add others companies..

But don't really want to pay $25 to put it on the marketplace.

D

Nice, i need something like this. You should put it up and if it goes well charge a small amount for a full uk train coverage version or something.

Upvote 0
Nice, i need something like this. You should put it up and if it goes well charge a small amount for a full uk train coverage version or something.

That's what I was thinking. I have put it free for now. but will look at adding all the other UK companies next week, and maybe charge a small amount for full version.

I originally designed it for my partner, as her Trains are always delayed on the way home, so now she can check, before going to the station, and walk home if there are delays!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones