1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Best ROM for battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DroidBabe, Jun 11, 2011.

1. DroidBabe

DroidBabe Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Which is the BEST ROM to install on the EPIC that gives me great battery life? Im using ASOP ROM but the battery is draining like crazy. Please help.

Advertisement

2. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    I would suggest trying all the different ones out there. What works great on mine may not work so great on yours and vice versa. Also if you find a rom you like you could always try a kernel to see if it will increase the battery life.

DroidBabe likes this.
  3. DroidBabe

Feb 22, 2011
    Whats a kernel and how do I get it to work?

4. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

A kernel is the piece of software that goes between the rom and your physical phone. It is flashed thru cwm(recovery) and depending on which one you choose to use there may be no setup required to tweaking undervolts(not recommended for beginners). Sometimes, take the acs frozen rom for example, comes with the twilight kernel. Well you may like the rom itself but you are having some issues. It is sometimes suggested to try another kernel like the genocide kernel. All of our phones, even though they are the same, react differently. Some people can run anything and overclock(oc) and undervolt(uv) with no issues while others cant tolerate certain roms let alone any kind of oc or uv. Hope i am making sense for ya! ;-) if not let me know.

DroidBabe likes this.
  5. ZiggSVO

ZiggSVO Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Did you ever check out ACE? If not you can always check out Bonsai 4.1.1 many people claim well over 24hrs with it :p

6. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    In case you weren't aware, most of the ROM's have kernels where you can tweak the settings using Voltage Control and/or SetCPU. You can play around with the settings to get the best balance between performance and battery life...

Voltage Control has the advantage of being able to change the voltage setting (undervolt) and overclock, while SetCPU only let's you set the processor speed.

7. DroidBabe

Feb 22, 2011
    Which ROM has voltage control?

8. ZiggSVO

ZiggSVO Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 30, 2011
  9. hayzooos

hayzooos Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    IT BA
    Chicagoland, IL
    Voltage Control is just the app that controls it. I believe the ability to do undervolting is kernel specific, not based on ROM. Though some ROMs include kernels which have UV'ing capabilities, so that would make people think it's based on ROM, which isn't really true.

Personally, I've had the best experience with Genocide kernel with the SRF 1.2 ROM. The default kernel with SRF is usually Twilight Zone, which is also good, I just personally have beter experience with Genocide.