1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

best rom for galaxy s2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sflannery07, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

Villain Rom is solid but for me it was very boring. Its based off of stock so very little difference. The battery was steady.

CheckRom is customisable heaven but 2.0 has been notably heavy on battery life. Some kernals can vary. I notice little difference as a heavy user. My battery runs away.

MIUI I can't comment. It didnt appeal at first glance.

Advertisement

2. MrBaker22

MrBaker22 Well-Known Member

Thanks rudedawg, just spent 2 hours reading up on all 3.. i think im leaning towards Checkrom 2.0 HD.. it states no wipe in the features, does that mean i can just flash it straight to my phone without doing a full wipe of my phone.....

3. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

In theory. A lot of people have done so and not had problems. Personally I think may be best to do full wipe anyway.

MrBaker22 likes this.
  4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I think people make way too much of a big deal regarding full wipes.
    I almost always do a full wipe. The only time I don't is if I'm updating the same rom and it still is on the same firmware version. So this is quite rare.

Keep your contacts and calendar centrally in your google account. This makes full wipes very straight forward..

Do a titanium backup of your apps before wiping. download this from the market after your up and running on your new rom and you'll be back as normal in no time. Just remember to decline the prompt in the new rom's first run to let google restore your apps. This will eat up your data usage as this is done before you get chance to set up your wireless connection.

I'm probably all done within 5 or 10 minutes after a full wipe. Its a small price to pay for extra peace of mind.
    And I enjoy going through the various setup stages on a new rom after a wipe as it gives me a chance to discover if there are any new features.

touriga, mobileguynz and MrBaker22 like this.
  5. MrBaker22

Thanks... ive read the xda thread about it, it says i need the latest kitchen(something like that) whats that for and do i really need it ?

6. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast

You are probably referring to this:
    Welcome to Doc & Stefunel RomKitchen

It lets you 'cook' your own rom choosing kernel, launcher, apps etc

7. MrBaker22

will i have to re flash siyah 2.1.1 after flashing checkrom v2.0 HD??

8. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

MrBaker ,

DO a Full wipe coming from a fresh install , Kitchenpro app comes preinstalled with the rom.
    Flash Siyah from your phone memory after dragging it from your pc using a USB. Install both ROM and Kernal via CWM recovery mode.

ALWAYS save .zip files to phone memory not sd. (although the phone tends to refer to the phone memory as SDCARD)

9. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

so

1. full wipe

2. install rom

3. "kitchen" is an app installed with the rom

4. choose your kernel from the kitchen app and install directly from there, unless you want the latest version eg the siyah one, then follow rudedawgs instructions (or download it direct from your xda app or browser on your phone and apply thru cwm)

10. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

I always make it sound complicated. :p

11. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

Not at all, just me interfering again!

12. qasimValent

qasimValent Newbie

can someone give me info on why or what the vallianrom would bring/ is worth flashing and what risks?

13. D79_

D79_ Lurker

Id recommend litenin v6.1 rom, very stable and battery with data on lasts me easy 10 hours and the theme is defo the best lookin and very original :)

14. kiezel

kiezel Lurker

I fully agree, verry happy with litening rom 6.1

15. herrera.f

herrera.f Lurker

[​IMG] 10 Hrs ??
    But, I have to say if you get 10 hours with data and battery that's pretty bad.!. but do you mean with medium/heavy usage???

16. herrera.f

herrera.f Lurker

But, I have to say if you get 10 hours with data and battery that's pretty bad.!. but do you mean with medium/heavy usage???

17. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Well if you constantly check your phone and do a couple of things per hour, you won't get more than 14ish hours, even if you don't play games. Unless you're seriously underclocked or on power saver. That's my experience on CheckRom :p

18. Arch Dandy

Arch Dandy Newbie

I'd say I was easily a medium user and get 2 days + with Checkrom/void kernel.

19. herrera.f

herrera.f Lurker

Alright thx for the reply!!!
    I get at least a full day of medium to heavy usage with data and sync on, all the time, using Dk kernell but I must say checkrom is awesome, I recommend people to use it its pretty good.

20. ppmal

ppmal Lurker

I am much more happy with this CheckROM.... i am using XXKH3, 2.6.35.7 kernal version, CheckRom RevoHD V4....

Battery life and performance is excellent.... I really recomend this like anything.... great for the man making it.....

21. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

Are there any Pure Android roms out there without the UI trimmings that I can take a look at or are they not really that good?

22. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Definitely give CheckROM Revolution a try! It looks almost exactly like stock samsung and it's easy to install the stock features/apps if you want them. A lot of custom roms just delete a lot of the stock stuff, which can be annoying if you use it!

ppmal likes this.
  23. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. I had already installed CheckROM as my first Rom and is very smooth. Are there any others simlar to stock android I might try for comparison?

24. Chris911t

Chris911t Newbie

I've already installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 - is it too late to benefit from this? I mean, have the stock rom files already been ditched?

Presumably I could re-flash a stock rom and then flash Checkrom on top of it?
    Next question would be... which stock rom is best?

25. JSR84

JSR84 Member

If you did a backup of your ROM before you flashed to CM 7.1 (Which is always a good idea) you can just restore it and then flash Check Rom Rev.

ppmal likes this.