• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Rom to Flash??

Im currently using the Frankenstein theme. I tried out SRF and Midnight and Frankenstein is the one I like best so far. I have yet to try Viper, Anonymous, or the GB leak, but something tells me im going to stick with Frankenstein for a while before i try those. Only thing i didnt like about it was the boot animation, but it was pretty easy to change it.

Upvote 0
I'm running SRF 1.1.1 and I love it so much, its very fast and I get great battery life with it. The performance reasons has stopped me from trying other ROM's (the old "if its not broke, don't fix it" mentality). I have started to get more adventurous though, yesterday I flashed the MIUI ROM (would love to see a stable version of this with everything working), and am probably gonna try Midnight ROM tomorrow just cuz all the ROMs are a lil different and want to try it.

Upvote 0
what's this bonsai i keep hearing about? i thought that was a game in the market lol..

lol there are some developers called bonsai that make games in the android market, but the bonsai being referred to here is a ROM. I was using it a while back and immediately noticed a pretty significant increase in battery life. I went back to frankenstein though because for some reason I would keep getting data errors. Couldnt pick up 3G or wifi for some reason.

I might try it again soon though because it couldve been that it wasnt flashed correctly or something.

Upvote 0
Kelmar, are you still liking Bonsai? You guys are confusing me...there's a kernel named bonsai and a whole rom named bonsai? ugh..

Yes and yes (not to step on kelmar's toes). Many roms have kernels you can flash separately. Can't speak on bonsai, but srf 1.1.1 has been all good (1.0.1 didn't work for me either) . Took me 2 times to flash it right, fix permissions, and be up and running. I then odin'd the new modem. Then flashed the honeycomb fusion theme. Tweaked all my settings and such... very pleased so far. I'll prob keep this until rob drops another midnight.

Upvote 0
@traumaj - Not worried about toe stepping :)

@forddna - as of last Monday, everything is running fine with Bonsai. Battery life seems same as every other ROM though, at least IMO. I'm a ROM-aholic though too. My biggest concern is that there is yet ANOTHER version of CWM and that it can be extremely confusing trying to keep track of them all.

Upvote 0
Replied in PM, too, but in case anyone else can help:

After reflashing Bonsai, I'm getting the same force close messages for the Email application. It pops up every few minutes! I haven't even tried to go to my e-mail, so these are completely random force closes.

Edit..I just tried to check email to see what it would do. It opened the app, but no emails showed up. When I hit "show more messages" it force closed.

Upvote 0
Flashing Bonsai now. Actually, reflashing because the first flash had immediate force closes. I did the journaling on zip with it.

If bonsai doesn't pan out i would suggest trying emerald fury by computerkid23. I have used all 3 of his roms as dd's and haven't had any issues. Just look at his thread, overwhelmingly compliments and very little for issues. Stable and great battery life. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones