• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best screen protectors

Again, as mentioned above by docprego in http://androidforums.com/89742-post12.html, there are 2 different ones being sold - the privacy protector and the simple screen protector. The simple screen protector works perfectly fine - I am not the only one saying it. the privacy protector, OTOH, seems to be the culprit, and logically so - if it is to protect your privacy then it cannot be completely transparent - and the best way to achieve angular translucency is to change the structure of the protector itself, which logically can lead to ineffectiveness when using it.

Those things are more for visual privacy protection, sacrificing touch applications for the sake of privacy.

Upvote 0
The difference between the IS and the others made with 3M materials is mainly how they are cut. On the Droid though since there are no curves covered, just the flat screen I would guess there is no difference at all, other than price.

I had a IS installed today at a Zagg licensed store in Irvine CA. They sell and install IS on all types of cell phones. Selling and installing shields is their main business and they are always busy so they have a lot of experience installing them.

One thing for those installing on your own, they give a sheet with instructions and they place your phone in a paper bag when you leave. Here is what they recommend:

1. Do not turn on phone for 2 hours.
2. Keep in paper bag (like a lunch sack) for 24 hours, except while using. I guess the dryness inside of the bag helps the shield dry.
3. Do not place in pockets or cases for three days.

With past devices they have covered I always follow their recommendations and never had a problem with the shields.

Upvote 0
Again, as mentioned above by docprego in http://androidforums.com/89742-post12.html, there are 2 different ones being sold - the privacy protector and the simple screen protector. The simple screen protector works perfectly fine - I am not the only one saying it. the privacy protector, OTOH, seems to be the culprit, and logically so - if it is to protect your privacy then it cannot be completely transparent - and the best way to achieve angular translucency is to change the structure of the protector itself, which logically can lead to ineffectiveness when using it.

Those things are more for visual privacy protection, sacrificing touch applications for the sake of privacy.

Correct but the real problem was that people ( such as myself and others I have seen post ) simply asked for the screen protector from Verizon and these are what they were selling us. So best to make sure others know NOT to get the privacy ones.

Upvote 0
I would avoid Zagg or any urethane type of covering.
I applied my invisibleshield for the droid last night, waited the recommend number of hours. Next day it was clean and stuck, very nice... however!

Like others mentioned, it gets sticky, particularly when you scroll and flick, your thumb will naturally get stuck on the skin. It doesnt show fingerprints much, but the ability to not move smoothly killed it for me... ended up taking it off and now i have to convince BB to refund me somehow... haha

Upvote 0
Until I did a lot more reading on the protection offered and the methodology, I was all gung-ho about getting one of these things. Now, though.....

From what I can see, though, if you don't use the one provided by Zagg on the touchscreen, using an alternative screen protector, then you should have the best of both worlds - the ability to move smoothly across the touch screen as well as having the rest of the finish protect from scratches, etc...

What say you?

Upvote 0
I wanted to add in my two cents. Every time I think I've found a reason to be angry at Verizon, they go ahead and surprise the hell out of me and win me over yet again.

I bought the non-privacy film from Verizon. The stuff that works alright but doesn't cover the whole screen. Well, I took my Droid back in today and told them I couldn't get it to install bubble-free and that I wanted a full screen coverage solution. They took back the screens, grabbed a set of cut to your own size ones, cut one down, installed it for me, and sent me on my way with a damn near perfect install and a couple extras to boot should I need to replace it again in the future. Couldn't be happier!

Upvote 0
I was talking about bb, referring to the post before mine. My bb doesn't have the zagg screens for any of the new android phones. The last two new phones it has the screens for are the mytouch and the pre. It doesn't have any for the hero, droid, or eris. It's funny, that they even tried selling me them at the time of my hero purchase and they didn't even have them. And they still don't a month later.

Upvote 0
Just a quick followup, there is a problem I didn't foresee with Verizon's custom cut film...there's plastic over the earpiece now! My phone calls are super quiet, and I need to use speaker or a bluetooth headset to hold a conversation. I'll be talking to Verizon in a bit, and I'm sure they'll fix the situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones