1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best SMS messaging app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jjp3186, Nov 18, 2009.

1. asmz1902

asmz1902 Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    Please try Go SMS Pro it is 100 times better than handcent It is the best messaging app I have ever used

Advertisement

2. jinf

jinf Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    I often use SMS Flow. It's not an application like Handcent or Go SMS. It's just able to schedule text messages with lots of options.

3. XploitZ

XploitZ Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    i tried both apps handcent and go sms but uninstalled them both after trying
    im a samsung galaxy i9003 user
    handcent is neat and easy to use problem is it doesnt have folder options like go sms where we can create folders and store messages
    go sms has many nice features but seems complicated for starters. but the sad thing is that after i installed it my contact photos didnt show up when my stock and handcent did
    i tried checking the settings and chose show photos in conversation options but still didnt show afterwards ("MIGHT" be a bug when using galaxy phones or particularly i9003)
    another thing is i cant disable vibrate when i receive notifications, i checked go sms settings but vibrate option was with regards to calls when on sms, disabled it but phone still vibrates in every notification.stock and handcent didnt have this problem ("MIGHT" be another bug when using galaxy phones or particularly i9003)
    and lastly when composing msgs with go sms... msgs are in linear (continious) form while stock and handcent auto fits on msg box (go sms should have msg option for linear or autofit)

if handcent has folder create and msg storage options, i'll reinstall it, i just hate the ads
    but if go sms could fix those problems,id go for go sms

4. Sokudo Ningyou

Sokudo Ningyou Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Female
    SE Wisconsin
    I'm a Handcent fan, but in the last month or so, they've totally borked the program. Not only did I lose LED notifications, now I've lost audible notifications as well. Had to switch to Go SMS Pro, just because I was getting a wee bit sick of the problems. And, honestly, if you check out Handcent's reviews, they've been having problems for a long time and don't seem inclined to fix them, soo....Go SMS for me for now.

5. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2008
    Male
    Senior software developer
    UK
    I have always been a lover of Chomp, right from the very first version. I started getting a bit annoyed with the recent updates, the quick reply screen and icon changes were the last straw for me. I recently moved to Go SMS Pro, and there I shall I stay

6. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    I used Handcent many times over the last couple years and every time I get frustrated with the little bugs and quirks that desperately need to be fixed. I go back to the stock messaging app each time. I have recently discovered Go SMS Pro which is quite a bit better than Handcent but still has a few little bugs here and there, but nowhere near as bad as Handcent. If it wasn't for the fact that the stock messaging app doesn't show up as an option for 'share' in the 3D gallery I would just stick with the stock app because I don't need any of the other features or failures these apps bring. It just amazes me the developers that turn a blind eye to stability and keep dumping in more useless features nobody wants/needs.

So, I guess that's another vote for Go SMS Pro... sorta.

7. Rev. Po-Jay

Rev. Po-Jay Member
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Banker/Data Nerd
    Dover, DE
    I feel pretty much the same about GoSMS. I don't use all the extra BS (different inboxes, pop-ups, chats...) that seems to clog up my daily updates. I just want a solid text app that handles MMS messages well too. I also hate the bubble view, which GoSMS has settings for. It is quirky and bogs down often, but it is the best one I have found. 4 stars at best.

8. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    i use GO SMS and love it... one problem i found today...which i would imagine they have but i just cant figure it out...

but can someone tell me how to forward a message? without having to save the text or paste it....

9. pwabbit

pwabbit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Press and hold the message you want to forward. An alternate menu will pop up.

10. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011

Cant believe i didnt try that myself lol.... well, thanks...

another problem i had with this program... i was on a phone call the other day...when i got a text... it disconnected my phone call... anyone else have this problem?

11. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Is there a place that has more themes that are actually half decent on GoSMS? Not only can I not find that many free themes, but judging by the look of the paid themes in the previews, they're horrible. Is there anything else out there?

What I find amazing is that the stock messaging app selected to "black background" (no further customization) looks better than any theme does on GoSMS. That's the only thing holding me back from using it.

Handcent has worked great for me, but I'm just trying to find alternatives right now for no other particular reason than curiosity. That said, I find myself going back to the stock messaging app. It's quick, simple, easy to read, easy to navigate, no ads, and no goofy bubbles to read text in. I know you can switch the others to list mode but even still, that seems to be the attracting point for a lot of people.

So is there a location for more GoSMS themes? Their "dark" themes I've found look kind of weird when the top bar and bottom section are still super light gray. How about a real "dark" theme done right like Handcent and even the stock messaging app have?

12. tntxplosion

tntxplosion Newbie
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    GO SMS has been working very well and also is very customisable as well. definitely up there with all the best SMS apps

13. Grin20

Grin20 Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    I used to use handcent but have made the switch to chomp. I like it but still wish there was a better one out there. But I will say chomp + say what?! ='s good times had by all.

14. RyanMac

RyanMac Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2011
    Try the app called Folder Organizer. It lets you change the icon of any and all apps on your phone and lets rename as well. Its what I use. There is also an app called Bettercut but Bettercut does not work with all apps but it has some different features that Folder Organizer does not have like changing and renaming widgets which Folder Organizer doesnt seem to cover so well. Download both if you want and use them how you like.
    There both free.

15. hatman

hatman Newbie
    None

Feb 20, 2010
  16. scannerwa

scannerwa Lurker
    None

I use Handcent, but only have one complaint; when I get a txt message there are times I want to forward it to my email address... but unlike forwarding to another contact, I can't get it to recognize that my email address IS in one of my contacts. As a result, I have to enter my entire email address every time.

Seems like such a simple feature that some other SMS apps have, so unless I'm just not seeing it I find it disappointing that Handcent doesn't do this.

If it DOES, can anyone instruct me how to enable it to do so?

17. Rev. Po-Jay

Rev. Po-Jay Member
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Banker/Data Nerd
    Dover, DE
    Since Verizon pushed 2.3.3 I have had a ton of bugs with GoSMS. I kept getting mass notifications from the stock app as well as screwy timestamps and laggy response times. The most annoying thing is that my keyboard kept forceclosing and the Cache kept capping and I had to manually clear it... I kept doing this for a month or so, until I got fed up. I went back to the stock app and deleted GoSMS a few weeks ago. I have no idea if all issues were caused by GoSMS, but I deleted it nonetheless. I hate the stock app's bubble view (prefer thread view), but I am dealing with it.

18. Hashiba

Hashiba Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Hmmm... it seems I have a little problem with any of hereby mentioned SMS applications. Can anyone give me an advice, how to delete contact group? I mean, I can create and delete group in phone application, but SMS application will see these deleted groups. I cannot figure how to deleted these groups from SMS application.

19. joycegiles1

joycegiles1 Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    First, I am new to Android, I have the Samsung Galaxy. I was sold voice minutes and a data plan, saying I could download a text message program and not pay for texts because I'm using my data plan.

Ok, there are zillions of these, but I found/chose GO SMS PRO. Seems fine. I checked my usage and it is listing the texts under messaging, so I'm thinking I will be billed for them.... do I need to turn something else off?

I don't want to get going Texting until I know I'm not getting charged for them.

20. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

GO SMS uses your carrier, not data. So does handcent, and so does almost every SMS app out there. You need something like TextPlus to use data for texting.

21. jonesaus

jonesaus Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    World Shaking
    Kansas City, MO
    Check out MindPush - new location-based, anonymous social media app

MindPush

22. southerngal85

southerngal85 Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    i don't think "whatsapp messaging" uses data either... not 100% sure though.. i just know i use it and like it...

on the topic here though, i use GO SMS Pro, and love it except the fact that not all of my contact photos don't show up... would this be because i have some names saved in my phone different that their facebook real names and it can't sync properly?? and also when i went to download more DIY themes it says check the change log for updates.. i emailed them but no response??

23. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Just link the Facebook contact to your contact with a different name manually and yout problem is solved.

24. jzigbe

jzigbe Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi,
    Which sms app does sms templates?
    For example I repeatedly have to send my email address to customers. How do I do that on my android phone [Samsung Galaxy y duos] ?
    Thanks

25. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    On Go SMS templates are called "Quick Texts". You can create/edit these as needed.

I expect other popular messaging apps have these too, but that's the one I have installed at the moment, so the only one I can easily check.