• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best SMS messaging app?

i tried both apps handcent and go sms but uninstalled them both after trying
im a samsung galaxy i9003 user
handcent is neat and easy to use problem is it doesnt have folder options like go sms where we can create folders and store messages
go sms has many nice features but seems complicated for starters. but the sad thing is that after i installed it my contact photos didnt show up when my stock and handcent did
i tried checking the settings and chose show photos in conversation options but still didnt show afterwards ("MIGHT" be a bug when using galaxy phones or particularly i9003)
another thing is i cant disable vibrate when i receive notifications, i checked go sms settings but vibrate option was with regards to calls when on sms, disabled it but phone still vibrates in every notification.stock and handcent didnt have this problem ("MIGHT" be another bug when using galaxy phones or particularly i9003)
and lastly when composing msgs with go sms... msgs are in linear (continious) form while stock and handcent auto fits on msg box (go sms should have msg option for linear or autofit)

if handcent has folder create and msg storage options, i'll reinstall it, i just hate the ads
but if go sms could fix those problems,id go for go sms

Upvote 0
I'm a Handcent fan, but in the last month or so, they've totally borked the program. Not only did I lose LED notifications, now I've lost audible notifications as well. Had to switch to Go SMS Pro, just because I was getting a wee bit sick of the problems. And, honestly, if you check out Handcent's reviews, they've been having problems for a long time and don't seem inclined to fix them, soo....Go SMS for me for now.

Upvote 0
I used Handcent many times over the last couple years and every time I get frustrated with the little bugs and quirks that desperately need to be fixed. I go back to the stock messaging app each time. I have recently discovered Go SMS Pro which is quite a bit better than Handcent but still has a few little bugs here and there, but nowhere near as bad as Handcent. If it wasn't for the fact that the stock messaging app doesn't show up as an option for 'share' in the 3D gallery I would just stick with the stock app because I don't need any of the other features or failures these apps bring. It just amazes me the developers that turn a blind eye to stability and keep dumping in more useless features nobody wants/needs.

So, I guess that's another vote for Go SMS Pro... sorta.

Upvote 0
I used Handcent many times over the last couple years and every time I get frustrated with the little bugs and quirks that desperately need to be fixed. I go back to the stock messaging app each time. I have recently discovered Go SMS Pro which is quite a bit better than Handcent but still has a few little bugs here and there, but nowhere near as bad as Handcent. If it wasn't for the fact that the stock messaging app doesn't show up as an option for 'share' in the 3D gallery I would just stick with the stock app because I don't need any of the other features or failures these apps bring. It just amazes me the developers that turn a blind eye to stability and keep dumping in more useless features nobody wants/needs.

So, I guess that's another vote for Go SMS Pro... sorta.

I feel pretty much the same about GoSMS. I don't use all the extra BS (different inboxes, pop-ups, chats...) that seems to clog up my daily updates. I just want a solid text app that handles MMS messages well too. I also hate the bubble view, which GoSMS has settings for. It is quirky and bogs down often, but it is the best one I have found. 4 stars at best.

Upvote 0
Is there a place that has more themes that are actually half decent on GoSMS? Not only can I not find that many free themes, but judging by the look of the paid themes in the previews, they're horrible. Is there anything else out there?

What I find amazing is that the stock messaging app selected to "black background" (no further customization) looks better than any theme does on GoSMS. That's the only thing holding me back from using it.

Handcent has worked great for me, but I'm just trying to find alternatives right now for no other particular reason than curiosity. That said, I find myself going back to the stock messaging app. It's quick, simple, easy to read, easy to navigate, no ads, and no goofy bubbles to read text in. I know you can switch the others to list mode but even still, that seems to be the attracting point for a lot of people.

So is there a location for more GoSMS themes? Their "dark" themes I've found look kind of weird when the top bar and bottom section are still super light gray. How about a real "dark" theme done right like Handcent and even the stock messaging app have?

Upvote 0
75% of my phone use is attributed to text messaging. So I recently downloaded Handcent and I'm liking it a lot. It's a lot better than the bland default messaging application. I really like how customizable it is. My only gripes are that I wish I could change the physical Handcent icon itself and maybe rename it to "Messaging" or something, also wish the reminder notifications had a few more options. Other than that it's a great app.

Any other good or better apps out there for text messaging?

Try the app called Folder Organizer. It lets you change the icon of any and all apps on your phone and lets rename as well. Its what I use. There is also an app called Bettercut but Bettercut does not work with all apps but it has some different features that Folder Organizer does not have like changing and renaming widgets which Folder Organizer doesnt seem to cover so well. Download both if you want and use them how you like.
There both free.

Upvote 0
I use Handcent, but only have one complaint; when I get a txt message there are times I want to forward it to my email address... but unlike forwarding to another contact, I can't get it to recognize that my email address IS in one of my contacts. As a result, I have to enter my entire email address every time.

Seems like such a simple feature that some other SMS apps have, so unless I'm just not seeing it I find it disappointing that Handcent doesn't do this.

If it DOES, can anyone instruct me how to enable it to do so?

Upvote 0
Since Verizon pushed 2.3.3 I have had a ton of bugs with GoSMS. I kept getting mass notifications from the stock app as well as screwy timestamps and laggy response times. The most annoying thing is that my keyboard kept forceclosing and the Cache kept capping and I had to manually clear it... I kept doing this for a month or so, until I got fed up. I went back to the stock app and deleted GoSMS a few weeks ago. I have no idea if all issues were caused by GoSMS, but I deleted it nonetheless. I hate the stock app's bubble view (prefer thread view), but I am dealing with it.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... it seems I have a little problem with any of hereby mentioned SMS applications. Can anyone give me an advice, how to delete contact group? I mean, I can create and delete group in phone application, but SMS application will see these deleted groups. I cannot figure how to deleted these groups from SMS application.

Upvote 0
First, I am new to Android, I have the Samsung Galaxy. I was sold voice minutes and a data plan, saying I could download a text message program and not pay for texts because I'm using my data plan.

Ok, there are zillions of these, but I found/chose GO SMS PRO. Seems fine. I checked my usage and it is listing the texts under messaging, so I'm thinking I will be billed for them.... do I need to turn something else off?

I don't want to get going Texting until I know I'm not getting charged for them.

Upvote 0
i don't think "whatsapp messaging" uses data either... not 100% sure though.. i just know i use it and like it...

on the topic here though, i use GO SMS Pro, and love it except the fact that not all of my contact photos don't show up... would this be because i have some names saved in my phone different that their facebook real names and it can't sync properly?? and also when i went to download more DIY themes it says check the change log for updates.. i emailed them but no response??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones