1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best source for reviews of Chinese android phones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mitch77, Dec 26, 2011.

1. mitch77

mitch77 Lurker

Just to be clear:

Got 3 kids in college - 2 of them at the Olympic Training Center
    so we watch every penny. We have 4 accounts - t-mo to go.
    I can not spend what most of you guys do on phones.
    I (we) pay less than $100 per yr for T-mo service.
    We need to be able to use GroovIP on whatever I get.
    so I want a wifi and all the bells and whistles I can get.
    And a decent battery life.

Can anyone refer me to a trustworthy reviewer of the Chinese
    smart phone offerings?

***All I want is tips on which Chinese imports are the best deals.***

Can anyone tell me the best seller to go to?

Way out of my depth here;
    Any and all tips would be appreciated.

THANKS!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Optimus 2X

Optimus 2X Lurker

Sorry to "p*ss against the wind here" but getting a "Chinese" phone isn't that much of a great idea.
    Why did I put " ? Because actually pretty much anything nowadays is made in China.
    You can have 2 T-shirts.They're both made in China.It's just that one has a "Nike" logo on and a 30$ price tag and the other doesn't.
    So you probably meant a no-name phone.
    Although I just wanted to get it sorted out there,things don't work like that on everything,especially not on phones.
    If you don't have the money for a new phone that you'd like,just get a used one! If you get to see the phone and make it a deal face to face you should be all right.
    I'm pretty sure this would be better than buying a no-name phone,both quality and performance-wise.

3. Brian7610

Brian7610 Newbie

i agree, but hes talking about money wise.

chinese phones work normally and are cheap so....

mitch77 likes this.
  4. mitch77

mitch77 Lurker

Thanks Brian.
    I guess I should have specified I was not interested in used phones
    and I'm well aware of who makes them.
    Surely there must be those here who have run across some of the "no-name" gems.
    I know they are not all dogs.

5. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast

The china made phones are mostly created for their own local domestic markets which mean Simplified or Traditional Chinese language. Is it ok with you?

For those that do cater to international market are Huawei, ZTE and a few others they come with English but their price tag will be much expensive compared to local china phones. On the good side is their pricing are comparable to Samsung, HTC and the like.

I believe those china phones will slowly emerge from back-end to the retail market. Do you know most if not all phone internal accessories are sourced from china besides korea,japan etc. Those companies are no longer content to sit back and watch the retail players making all the obscene profits. They intend to move to the front too.

6. You can go to pconline.com.cn or zol.com.cn, it's Chinese website, and ...of course it's Chinese.

7. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I consider "Chinese phones" to mean phones designed by a Chinese company. Sure, most consumer electronics are made in China, but the company that designs them may not be Chinese. The major brands have a far different/higher quality assurance program.

As for the topic on hand, OP: I think you're going to be stuck with Google :\ Most of the well known review sites only cover the major brands.

mikedt likes this.
  8. mitch77

mitch77 Lurker

I must say I am having a hard time believing what many of you say is true.
    I am much more familiar with tablets and am well aware of numerous good tablet deals that can't be matched by the name brands here.
    They may not have every bell and whistle but they do 95% of the same stuff and cost far less.
    And in almost no case does one need to read any Chinese (please!)
    And there are PLENTY of Chinese websites fully translated into Eng that offer tablets, and more phones than you could count.
    I asked for recommendations of specific Chinese phones that were known to be good buys. It is quite easy to find them. What I can't do is judge them because I have very little cell phone experience.
    Whereas (according to many stats) the ave person loses and replaces their phone ever 6 months. Seems like some of you guys really into them might have come across some of the non-name brand.

So just to be clear...all I want is recommendations of which Chinese imports are the best bang for the buck.
    If you have not heard any news on this please just ignore the thread.

Thanks very much!

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Problem is many of them don't....well not for much longer than a few months, or may well have show-stopping software bugs, e.g. a phone crashes or reboots when set to English. But then most of them are cheap, so one should consider them disposable.

Actually when it comes to Chinese phones, I' d really recommend just three brands: Huawei, ZTE and Lenovo, anything else don't bother unless they're very cheap.

BTW I have a Korean phone. :) There are actually some Chinese who wont even buy a Chinese phone...true.

@mitch77 you may want to look at a brand called Oppo. Their phones are quite cheap but seem good from what I've seen available locally. Not sure about availability outside of the Mainland though. http://www.oppo.com/ (in Chinese)
    (+86) 4001-666-888

10. toffzter

toffzter Newbie

Let me add Meizu and Xiaomi to the list. They have produced dual core phones and Meizu is about to release the quad core phone Meizu MX Quad-Core.