1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Best stable 2nd init ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jack49525, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    So I've been using CM7 for a while and am getting pretty tired of it. I just popped back in to the world of DX roms and it looks like there are a whole lot of new options. Are any of the ICS roms stable at all or are they best to be avoided at this point? What are some good stable roms out there for the DX that will freshen up my device a little while I (eagerly) await the Incredible 4g, or, more likely, the Droid Fighter/Razr HD?

Advertisement

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Exact same position, except that I'm stock, rooted.

Maybe find something to hold me over waiting for the fighter.

Subscribed.

3. zEnethSTORM

zEnethSTORM Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    School
    All ICS roms are pretty much the same in terms of stability. Only thing different about ICS roms are the features/customization. So try all of em out b4 u commit to one.

ICS roms are very stable, I have VERY RARE FCs. Some things don't work like hardware acceleration and a few other things i forgot; but overall its stable.

4. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Which ICS rom are you currently using? Besides the rare FCs, is everything else working? Video, camera, youtube, hdmi out, etc?

The CM7 I'm using, from RevNumbers over on RootzWiki, is pretty stable in terms of everything being functional but I find that I still have occasional reliability issues (apps FC'ing, streaming radio cutting out, etc) so I'd be interested to hear how these new ICS roms compare.

5. jack49525

jack49525 Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I've heard some good things about Liberty 3 v2.0. Any chance I can just flash that on top of CM7 with a data/cache wipe?

6. WhoDoo Voodoo

WhoDoo Voodoo Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    Bad News
    If you are an everything has to work all the time guy, Liberty and Vortex can't be beat. As far as the CM9s go, just plain old theangelx CM9 is the most stable. I keep a clockwork backup of Liberty and CM9 so I can switch it up whenever. Yes you can have both. But on this new CM9 I have stayed on it the last week and it has been a good daily driver for me. It's snappy doesn't FC, runs cool games and all of that. It just doesn't and probably won't ever have flash due to no native hardware accelerator driver for ICS. Also no video recorder either. Pictures are fine, but once again, probably the hardware accelerator again. I had a buddy at work ask me if my DX was a Nexus, I said no son, this is the big screen. LOL

CM9
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/540019-cyanogenmod-9-beta.html

Liberty
    [Rom] Liberty3 V2.0 For The Droid X 11/28 - Sunday Bloody Sunday! - Liberty Team - RootzWiki

P.S. Before you do ANY of this, sbf to .605 and do a clean initial install. Not only does everything work better when you do, but you may save having to do it all again later. Read the instructions on the pages, and put it in there clean, and back it up. Do the same for the other ROM, set it up, back it up, and then it's whatever mood you are in. If you do it right, it can still be a snappy, modern, fast phone. With dual operating systems. But take the time, and do it right the first time.