• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best task killer/manager/switcher ?

oh? but dont you get lots of apps running in the bg all the time ?

Not all apps are constantly running on your phone, if you are not using the app, it becomes inactive and only sits there until you need it and it'll resume again. If you are low on memory, the Android OS will check to see which inactive tasks have not been used by the user and end them for newer tasks. You shouldn't really use a task killer unless an app is really poorly written and continues running even when you're not using it.

I would recommend you use systempanel, great app to monitor your active/inactive apps: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html

Upvote 0
I would recommend you use systempanel, great app to monitor your active/inactive apps: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html
The only thing I don't like about system panel is that sometimes it inaccurately represents which tasks are inactive. For example I was running 3 (cubed) - actively listening to music and it was in the notification area, yet still showed up as an inactive process in systempanel. (although showing that it was using a portion of the processor!)

Upvote 0
I hate it when store salespeople give out misleading and incorrect information. Task Killers are completely unnecessary, and anyone who says otherwise is really ignorant of how Android works. Problem is, not everyone has the initiative or knowledge to ask other people who may be better informed. Very few store salespeople has any real knowledge on the products they sell, other than what corporate trains them to say.

Reactions: kgreendenver
Upvote 0
The back button is the best task killer out there.

Only if the dev codes that pressing the back button to end the app, otherwise, it'll still be 'running in the background'.

The only thing I don't like about system panel is that sometimes it inaccurately represents which tasks are inactive. For example I was running 3 (cubed) - actively listening to music and it was in the notification area, yet still showed up as an inactive process in systempanel. (although showing that it was using a portion of the processor!)

Interesting, I'll need to test that out. hmm...I only see 'active applications' and 'system process'. I usually think that the inactive apps are the ones that are in active but have CPU= 0. Is this what you meant?

@OP, if you have Android 2.2 on your phone, it comes with its own task killer. So if you need to kill a task/process, you can simply use that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones