• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best task killer

really?
its simple, if it didnt NEED to end task it wouldnt even be an option.
it does kill task when its at a CRITICAL point. but by that time you are draggin along!
and if u need to dial 911 fast...you have to wait for the OS to kill processes!
really?
like...really though?
GET A TASK MANAGER!

Upvote 0
Heh ... my apologies: I thought someone was actually curious about my opinion, rather than just trying to pick a fight.

But for the record, my phone gets extremely heavy data and app use, and has almost 50 apps on it (but no task manager) and doesn't drag in the least. The system works.

(And if I ever have to call 911 I'll be able to do so quickly ... in contrast to others of you, who will be too busy reconfiguring your task managers to be bothered. :p )

Upvote 0
I had advance task killer but it kept going down in memory without even using the phone. My phone says that I have 73 mb free but my task killer only says I have 50 mb free. I'm trying to get the most out of my battery bc these eris's suck at battery life.

I have the paid version of ATM on 2.1 and I think it's great software. Do these phones "need" task killer's? Probably not. Do they help? Most definitely. I ran for a week on 2.1 without it and I now run ATK and there is a difference for the better.

"these eris's" ??? Mine easily lasts from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and I have some to spare.

Upvote 0
I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and answer the question that was asked by the OP.

Q: What is the best task killer?
A: Android, it manages and kills processes perfectly on it's own.

No it doesn't. Download ATM free or OS Monitor and watch all the processes out there floating around. Sure, they are not all foreground processes, but they are out there, they consume some space in memory. Some are services, some are processes.

And what is it with some apps starting in the background for unknown reasons??

Does killing those apps "hurt" anything. No, not normally. In unix, most programs are written to respond to a kill signal and they exit gracefully.

Upvote 0
I read some where that one of the more well known people on this forum said some thing along the lines of " if a task killer was needed it would come with the OS.", the 2.1 comes with it. So maybe it is helpful..?

Just curious. Could you direct me to where you found where it says that 2.1 is coming with a task killer?? I've had the leaked 2.1 since it came out, and maybe I'm missing it, but i havent seen a task killer yet.

I've never installed a task killer, and I probably never will. I kinda feel bad for everyone that insists their phones are lagging and that they need to kill every app running that they didn't choose to run. (which I agree you should be able to) but It runs so much better (for me) just letting the OS do its job. It seems to keep what it NEEDS in memory. Unless you have a "problem" app, or a beta, or testing, I cant really see the need for one.

Really though, send me the link to that 2.1 info that includes the task killer, I'd like to read up on it some more. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Just curious. Could you direct me to where you found where it says that 2.1 is coming with a task killer?? I've had the leaked 2.1 since it came out, and maybe I'm missing it, but i havent seen a task killer yet.

I've never installed a task killer, and I probably never will. I kinda feel bad for everyone that insists their phones are lagging and that they need to kill every app running that they didn't choose to run. (which I agree you should be able to) but It runs so much better (for me) just letting the OS do its job. It seems to keep what it NEEDS in memory. Unless you have a "problem" app, or a beta, or testing, I cant really see the need for one.

Really though, send me the link to that 2.1 info that includes the task killer, I'd like to read up on it some more. Thanks.

Settings>apps>manage running apps....or something close to that. It gives you the option to kill running apps.

Upvote 0
No it doesn't. Download ATM free or OS Monitor and watch all the processes out there floating around. Sure, they are not all foreground processes, but they are out there, they consume some space in memory. Some are services, some are processes.

Who cares if apps are taking up memory if the OS doesn't need it and they're not using CPU clock cycles. That's why everyone has it wrong. They think just because an app is sitting in memory using up RAM, that it's hurting the phone. If Android needs more RAM it'll start killing processes. If it doesn't, who cares if there's a bunch of apps sitting out there.

Hypothetical Example:

Phone has 10MB of RAM.
The user is using App A which is taking up 5MB of RAM
App B is sitting in memory taking up 3MB of RAM
There is 2MB left over.

Why kill App B? It's not hurting anything. App A doesn't need that RAM. The OS doesn't need it, if it did, it would kill it.

Now let's say the user opens App C, and it needs 3MB of space, but there is only 2MB free. Android will kill App B to make space.

This is an extremely over-simplified example. The point is, this is not windows, it doesn't matter if there is a bunch of unused apps and processes and services running as long as there is enough memory for everything. If there isn't, Android will free up space.

Everyone seems to be concerned when they see a bunch of processes running unused. Who cares!?!!?! There can be hundreds, as long as there is still free memory and they're not using up clock cycles, it won't affect the performance of the phone. If a background service DOES affect the performance of the phone, it's the crappy app's fault, not Android. Uninstall that app or check into it's settings to see why it keeps using up CPU resources.

I write embedded software for a living. It's completely different from Windows. If you see Windows constantly sitting at 95% RAM usage and 95% CPU usage, you would freak out and your PC would be barely useable. But this is typical for an embedded application. If an embedded application always has free resources, then the manufacturer picked out the wrong hardware. They could have saved money by going with less RAM and a less powerful CPU.

Upvote 0
When I had 1.5, I used Advanced Task Killer. Not to free up memory, but to save my battery life from some apps that just start for no reason and drain the battery (ahem...youmail...).

Now that I'm on 2.1, I just use the Manage Running Apps option in Settings and close Youmail whenever it opens (which happens when I toggle on wifi/3g, receive a call, or receive a text, etc.).

As long as you close apps that drain battery/memory when you're done, you should be fine. As long as I remember to close Youmail, my battery stays charged a LOT longer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones