• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Tether App?

kraze0g

Android Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
hi, i just got a netbook and im wondering what is the best app to tether with? i know PDAnet and Easy Tether are the most popular, and ive heard PDAnet is more stable/faster (yet more expensive)...

the cost does not bother me, i just want the better of the two applications. anyone have any suggestions for me? I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!

There really should be no speed difference between any of them. I'd say Wireless Tether is the most stable, it's free, and it has the added bonus of being a Wi-Fi hotspot instead of USB tether, but of course you need root for that. Rooting is such a simple process though, that some people do it just for Wireless Tether. Then they fall victim to the community and flash a new kernel "just to see what it's like", try out new ROMs, and before you know it a week has gone by and you haven't left your computer! ;)

Upvote 0
As mentioned above. I have rooted my phone for a single purpose.

I use wifi tether, and could not be happier. As an added bonus if I'm in the middle of nowhere with a friend using an AT&T iPhone, he is able to use the wifi off my droid to check mail/surf/etc he claims it is faster than his full 3g on his iPhone. go figure.

Upvote 0
WiFi teather is a LOT of fun. I use it all the time.
BUT, I think the question was which was best, and I'd have to say that PDA Net via USB cable does have the advantage of never dropping your connection. I've had that happen a few times using WiFi Tether.
I don't think the USB has any advantage / disadvantage as far as throughput speeds, since both applications are using Verizon's 3G service, and you're limited to that speed.
I also believe that wifi tethering is generic, and that none, connection wise, have anything over the other. There may be added features on some apps that make them more appealing, or easier setup interfaces. I dunno.

Upvote 0
WiFi teather is a LOT of fun. I use it all the time.
BUT, I think the question was which was best, and I'd have to say that PDA Net via USB cable does have the advantage of never dropping your connection. I've had that happen a few times using WiFi Tether.
I don't think the USB has any advantage / disadvantage as far as throughput speeds, since both applications are using Verizon's 3G service, and you're limited to that speed.
I also believe that wifi tethering is generic, and that none, connection wise, have anything over the other. There may be added features on some apps that make them more appealing, or easier setup interfaces. I dunno.

I've had the exact opposite result actually! PdaNet sometimes does some weird things and requires me to disconnect and reconnect the tether on my computer, but Wireless Tether For Root Users has always been a perfect ad-hoc network for me. Also, what other wi-fi tethering apps are you referring to? The only one I've ever seen is Wireless Tether For Root Users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones