• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Twitter app?

Argh Twitter just updated their app to 2.0 and broke a whole load of stuff.

Firstly, it doesn't auto-update regardless of how frequent you set it to do so.

Secondly, if you tap on the widget, you don't get your tweet stream but instead see the tweet you just were looking at in the widget. There is no way to change this behaviour.

The first one is a major fail. Looking at the reviews in the market I am not the only one seeing this (mine's on a SGS but it seems to be affecting other phones too).

Has anyone got a working 1.0.5 .apk? I want to roll back.

Upvote 0
Seems like there is not one clear cut winner. Everyone has their fav which is understandable. I am trying to discover the best twitter app myself and now am more confused then before. I have been using the official twitter app for it's multiple accounts. I like how it notifies you on all your accounts regardless of the one you are using. Don't care much for peep. Used TweetCaster free for a short time but got tired of the ad's, and now have installed Twicca. This is the one I want to like and use as it looks cool and has many features. The one BIG thing missing is multiple accounts. Hard for me to believe that social apps wouldn't include that with their apps. Most people have multiple accounts now days and it just seems to make sense. Think I will give Twidroid a try.

Upvote 0
There is no best but I prefer Plume (formerly Toutieur).

agree totally but my one question with plume is how the hell do you get the embedded browser (cuicui) to play you tube links? It loads the youtube page in its browser but when you click on it the whole page highlights and does nothing. Twidroyd handled that much better but im still using plume. Any help appreciated.

Upvote 0
agree totally but my one question with plume is how the hell do you get the embedded browser (cuicui) to play you tube links? It loads the youtube page in its browser but when you click on it the whole page highlights and does nothing. Twidroyd handled that much better but im still using plume. Any help appreciated.

I'm not sure you can. If it's a YouTube video, I press the Browser button and if available select YouTube as the app to browse to.

Worst case, I'll send it to a Flash enabled browser and either play it there or click to go to YouTube.

Not elegant by any stretch.

Upvote 0
Well after trying Twidroid, Twicca, TweetDeck, Peep, the official Twitter app, and TweetCaster, which I had before, I decided to go back to TweetCaster. I really like this app. Twicca is really nice and I liked it about as much except it don't have multiple accounts as of yet. That's prob the main reason I chose TweetCaster over Twicca. Still not crazy about the ad's in the free version of TweetCaster but I really don't want to spend 5 bucks for the paid version. We'll see. Anyway for me right now, I would have to say....TweetCaster

Upvote 0
Well after trying Twidroid, Twicca, TweetDeck, Peep, the official Twitter app, and TweetCaster, which I had before, I decided to go back to TweetCaster. I really like this app. Twicca is really nice and I liked it about as much except it don't have multiple accounts as of yet. That's prob the main reason I chose TweetCaster over Twicca. Still not crazy about the ad's in the free version of TweetCaster but I really don't want to spend 5 bucks for the paid version. We'll see. Anyway for me right now, I would have to say....TweetCaster

Get Tweetcaster Pro for free via Getjar. No ads. Happy days!

Upvote 0
When I got my phone I tested several apps for twitter. You guys already mentioned them here so I won't re-post them.

At that time (about half a year ago) I found TweetCaster the best. Well I have not put much effort to this since then but recently I have been using an ipad and the twitter program that I have on the ipad is much more convenient.

To those who don't know what I am talking about: the application that I use on the ipad for twitter has an inbuilt browser. So while I am reading the short tweets on the left side, I can see the corresponding homepages at the same time. I don't have to switch back and forth between TweetCaster and the Browser. If something is interesting I can full-screen the Browser temporarily.

I understand that android phones have limited screen size but I still think that it would be possible to make a similar tweet application if there is none today.

Is there? Do you know any twitter program for android phones that has the same user interface?

Upvote 0
When I got my phone I tested several apps for twitter. You guys already mentioned them here so I won't re-post them.

At that time (about half a year ago) I found TweetCaster the best. Well I have not put much effort to this since then but recently I have been using an ipad and the twitter program that I have on the ipad is much more convenient.

To those who don't know what I am talking about: the application that I use on the ipad for twitter has an inbuilt browser. So while I am reading the short tweets on the left side, I can see the corresponding homepages at the same time. I don't have to switch back and forth between TweetCaster and the Browser. If something is interesting I can full-screen the Browser temporarily.

I understand that android phones have limited screen size but I still think that it would be possible to make a similar tweet application if there is none today.

Is there? Do you know any twitter program for android phones that has the same user interface?

Ubersocial Pro (formerly Twidroyd) has an inbuilt browser called Live Preview. Long press on a tweet containing URL and it opens the inbuilt browser. Id love Tweetcaster to have the same thing and its kinda why I always go back to Uber, despite the better UI's from some of the others.

Upvote 0
You know? The only reason why I remain with Tweetdeck after all this time it's its home widget, the one that has the icons that turn yellow if you have a relevant tweet in that category; I don't like or need to read my last tweet on my screen.

If I ever find something like that in another client, say Tweetcaster or something, I might try it.

EDIT: An update, just found about Tweetdark, which is pretty much a reskinned Tweetdeck, but with the added bonus that they, contrary to their inspiration, didn't got rid of the deck.ly support; it also looks tons better too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones