1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best VLC / Streaming application?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by hansschmucker, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hansschmucker

hansschmucker Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    For what seems like an eternity now, I've been using VLC Stream and Convert Pro by TravelDevel to stream video when I'm in bed or to preconvert movies for when I'm on the road. And don't get me wrong, it's still one of my most used applications... but I'm not quite happy with it anymore and the developer seems to have abandoned it. The interface is still one of the best, but it crashes a bit too often, as well as requiring an outdated VLC version. Plus, there are some features that would be easy to implement IF the developer was listening, like streaming and saving at the same time or streaming certain media files without re-encoding them.

So what are the alternatives? I've tried

VLC Direct: Apparently can't play whole folders. Can only play and nothing else (no "convert and save to device" or anything like that). Can't judge startup time until streaming starts and stability due to trial-restrictions. Interface is not exactly beautiful, but no train-wreck either. Kinda slow.
    P.S. Just tried the Pro Version. Streaming starts quickly and is very stable, but playback always starts on the PC by default unless you long-press on the file and check "Play on Device". The playlist doesn't work at all for streaming and will always play on the PC.

VLC Remote/Stream. There's no lite version, so I had just 15 minutes to find out how well it works and the painfully unintuitive interface made it not exactly easy. I couldn't get it to stream anything in that time.

What else is there? Has anybody talked to the developers? Is either one still under active development? Are you using one of these?

Advertisement

carlos12345678 likes this.