1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best watch(es) for Galaxy S8?

Discussion in 'Android Wear' started by Randwulf83, May 19, 2017.

1. Randwulf83

Randwulf83 Lurker
    None

May 19, 2017
    Apologize if this has been discussed before -- I couldn't find it searching -- but does anyone have recommendations of what watch(es) work(s) best with the Galaxy S8? I'm coming back to Android 7 years after switching from the platform to iOS (went from a Droid Incredible to iPhone 4 -- feels like forever ago), and while I had only one option with my Apple Watch, there are so many now, and I don't know how to choose!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    What are you looking for? Some are more stylish while others have a few extra features. Prices run from a little under $200 to $300 (factoring out the cheap-o $80 crap and the $1500+ Tag Heuer connected )

Do you want a heart rate monitor? Ambient light sensor? Round face?

You're right, there's a lot out there to choose from. Everyone will have a little different perspective, but ultimately it's up to you.

Here's the review I wrote of the watch I'm currently wearing as my daily driver. I'm still very pleased with it.

mikedt likes this.
  3. Randwulf83

Randwulf83 Lurker
    None

May 19, 2017
    Well, nothing a step down from the Apple Watch in quality. To give an idea, I had the Apple Watch (stainless steel, not the aluminum one), 38mm (my wrists are smaller and I dug the smaller look and feel on my wrist).

Basically, I want it to look like a watch -- as in a piece of jewelry, so not like a fitness tracker or something square-ish, but nothing over the top expensive (basically hoping to pay no more than $350). Would be nice for the bezel to be covered satisfactorily (really hated that I could see the bezel easily on the Apple Watch, not to mention never liked the square shape). Thinner is better -- I remember the first Moto 360 watch looked VERY thick (my bro had one).

I do like having a heart-rate monitor, steps counter, fitness stuff like that, as I am active. Good dictation for setting reminders. Obviously the basics like texts coming in/being able to respond to them, alarms, that kind of stuff too. Being able to switch bands -- I used the mesh-style Milanese loop band (third-party) with the Apple Watch and would love to continue with one like that for whatever I get next, if possible (though would be fine switching to a leather band -- just hate to be stuck with rubber).

If I had to make it easier, the three I've had my eyes on are the Gear 3 (though 2 could work, as my wrists are a little smaller), Moto 360 2 and the Fossil Q -- love to know basic strengths and weaknesses here. I know the Galaxy Gear 2 runs Tizen while the others are Android, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

#3 Randwulf83, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I'm partial to the original Huawei Watch. It has the latest Wear on it, and IMO is still the best one at looking like a watch first.

lunatic59 likes this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I think you should consider the Huawei or you could look at the Asus ZenWatch as well. The only thing I'm not sure about is the ability to swap bands on those.

Unforgiven likes this.
  6. Randwulf83

Randwulf83 Lurker
    None

May 19, 2017
    Thank you, all! I will consider these too. Worried the Huawei is too big, though it is the most beautiful and watch-like of the ones I've seen. I'll have to check it out in person.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I can't speak for Zen, but there are plenty of watch bands available for the Huawei watch and they are a snap to change.

lunatic59 likes this.