1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Best Way To Back Up and Restore Epic

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edytwinky, Feb 18, 2011.

1. edytwinky

edytwinky Newbie

So my text messaging keeps force closing on me. I have looked through thread after thread to find a solution. Best one is a wipe and reinstall of everything.

How do I go about doing this?

And what is the best way to backup my phone including texts and pics and then reinstall everything.

Advertisement

2. big3etr

big3etr Newbie

titanium backup. I guess I should ask if you're rooted or not???

3. edytwinky

edytwinky Newbie

Not rooted

4. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert

Titanium isn't perfect for sms. I never got it back perfect. Every one was dated the day I did the restore. Funny thing is I went and used SMS Backup which save sms as an xml file, and then I restored it, and I got all my proper dates back.

MyBackupPro did that to me too on the latest go around. And neither progam will allow you to restore on a different phone (for me, a Shift. I go back and forth). Also, with either of the two apps, if you're rooted you can get the market links for your app restore which is a big deal. My least favorite backup program would have to be Sprite.

5. MBM7881

MBM7881 Well-Known Member

i use mybackup pro. its pretty nice and you have the option to schedule a daily back up and it can be stored online on their site or on your sd card. before that i was using smrtguard but its not for 2.1 right now only 2.2 which i will be on by next week :D

6. buggerritt

buggerritt Member

I like ClockworkMod. Perform a backup. it's stored on your sd card. After a flash, perform an advanced restore and choose restore data. Everything is as it was before your flash. This works across ROMs, as well.

7. edytwinky

edytwinky Newbie

It just literally sucks that I have to do all this because my text messaging keeps force closing

8. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot about that one. You have to download another program from the market first in order to find it, correct?

I've been looking for backup recommendations for people with unrooted phones who want to update to froyo. I'd hate to see them miss out on what seems a better experience all around (after a reset).

I'm getting the sense that the best option for non-rooted Eclair is to use MyBackupPro after using SMS Backup first. Am I understanding you, DBPaddler?

9. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert

I use sms backup because it seems to restore all the right timestamps on my SMS where MBP doesn't always do that for me. MBP is good for call logs too. Think app backup is just eh, because if you're not rooted you don't get market links so you end up going to the market to redownload anyway. Easier just to have a list of all your apps an go to the market and redownload.