1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Best way to migrate from old Note 7 to new Note 7?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnpjackson, Sep 16, 2016.

1. johnpjackson

johnpjackson Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2013
    Male
    Systems & Networking
    Western Massachusetts
    Anyone have ideas or plans for how they will most easily and fully migrate their data, apps, settings, accounts from their flammable Note 7 to their new, green battery one?

I'm on Verizon - their vendor specific utility appears to offer one way to attempt that. Samsung seems to offer another, that uses a direct USB connection from old device to new. When I used that from my Note 3 to my Note 7 it transferred a good amount of the total environment, but definitely not all of it. There were a bunch of things that I discovered over a couple of weeks that I had to start from scratch on.

Advertisement

2. stang9779

stang9779 Member
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    I transferred for a S6 edge plus and used the Samsung NFC Transfer. It work pretty good for me.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Samsung Smart Switch works great, and it uses WiFi.

I just used it to bring over stuff from an HTC One M9 to my Samsung S5

seVer likes this.
  4. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    smart switch- either the app, or the pc program.

5. R=G

R=G Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Easy. Samsung Smart Switch via Wifi. And that's why I want my new Note to come from Tmobile.com...they'll overnight it anyway. So none of that store crap and I can transfer everything with both phones in one fell swoop.

6. ShaiMere

ShaiMere Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2012
    Female
    Or just back up everything to your Samsung account and restore it on the new phone.

7. durandetto

durandetto Android Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2009
    Master Mechanic
    Fenton, MI.
    This is the route I'm taking. Don't want to spend hours in the store. Grab my new note come home and restore.

Duckster and ShaiMere like this.
  8. jlrosell

jlrosell Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 12, 2010
    SmartSwitch is a great app. But it certainly does not transfer everything.
    Switching from my s6 edge to the note7 I used it. It transferred my contacts, pictures, apps, texts...
    But there are many, many settings that do not transfer. All of my nova launcher settings needed to be re-set manually. I also essentially created my own philadelphia eagles theme. While my icon pack transferred, I had to turn it on. I had to set the backgrounds on my lock screen, and on my text message screen. I had to set the eagles helmet as my app drawer icon.

I also had to get they layout of each of my home pages the same. Put app icons back in the spot I had them. Create each widget again, make them the size I wanted them again... All that takes quite a while. Too much time to stand and do in the store. Which is why I am requesting Verizon to send me the new phone before I send my old one back. So that I can have them side by side to go through all of the menus and copy settings exactly as I have them. And copy the layout of all of my home screens. Etc.

9. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    This is just my personal opinion, but this is how I prepared (prior to turning the Note 7 back in).

I used the OTG attachment that came in the box, attached a flash drive to it while plugged into the Note 7, copied the entire internal storage onto the flash drive.

For the microSD, I have multiple backups for my media, so I wasn't too concerned about that.

Copying the internal storage just ensures that I have all the necessary elements of "in app" settings. I did make sure that all of the apps that contain "backup"settings, had been saved, prior to copying the entire internal storage to the flash drive. Over the years, that's been the most fail safe way that I've found to really get the device settings back to where they once were, without additional steps or hassle.

If you don't have a spare drive that you can connect via the OTG attachment that was provided, then there are multiple options out there for backup and transitioning back. I'm just not sure which is the most reliable as far as restoring in app data and settings.

I have a couple secondary backup apps that I use. iDrive and MyBackupPro. iDrive always seems to go way too slow for my liking. MyBackupPro works great, but I don't have cloud storage big enough to save all the app data and media.

10. stewarta13wsb

stewarta13wsb Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Sorry newbie question...how would you copy it back? Would there not be a 'clash' of same name folders & files?

11. drexappeal

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    It's the same phone. Why would there be a problem with conflict?

12. stewarta13wsb

stewarta13wsb Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    I was thinking with my Windows head on 'this folder already exisits' type thing?

13. drexappeal

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Even on Windows, if a folder already exists, just it will only overwrite whatever is already in there, but add what might not have been there prior.

14. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Android Expert

Oct 8, 2010
    Male
    Hypnotherapist
    Puerto Pollo
    Apart from what info Google has to tranfer I'll having fun doing the swap manually, everything I wan't to keep should be on the SD card anyway.

Duckster likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was launched in 2016, before subsequently being removed from production over battery issues.