1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Best way to organize multimedia files in microSD card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beowulf7, Jul 14, 2011.

1. beowulf7

beowulf7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    I have an 8 GB Class 6 microSD from my previous phone (LG enV Touch). Unfortunately, the Droid 3 wouldn't recognize the card and said I need to reformat it. So I backed up the card's content on my computer and then reformatted the card. It's now recognized and the phone asked me if I want to use the card as default storage for pictures, to which I agreed.

I now have pics, vids, and music on my computer that I had on my old phone and would like to bring them over onto the new phone. How can I best organize this? I put a couple test videos in the <card drive>\dcim\Camera directory and it appeared in Gallery. However, I have the feeling it's not best to put such multimedia files in a directory called "Camera".

What are your thoughts? If I create directories called "Music", "Pictures", and "Videos" in the top level directory, will the phone recognize it? I guess I can try it out, but I don't want to do something that will cause the phone to no longer recognize the card and ask to reformat it. TIA. :)

Advertisement

2. beowulf7

beowulf7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    It looks like once the phone formats the card, you can create folders to organize multimedia files. I'm putting my custom folders, such as Music, Pictures, etc. inside the dcim folder, at the same level as Camera. How have you folks organized your files?

3. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    My Eris, Droid X, and Thunderbolt all organized my images into folders in the gallery app based on what directory they were in on the SD card. This doesn't seem to work on the D3. Am I doing something wrong? I even put the folders in the DCIM directory. No luck. All I get is "All Photos" and "All Videos"...