1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best way to purchase cheap Android phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by wilsonericn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. wilsonericn

wilsonericn Lurker

I'm thinking of getting an android phone soon.

My needs are modest. I want:

1. A decent phone.
    2. Ability to listen to .mp3 files (podcasts, usually not music)
    3. Reasonably small.
    4. Under $100.
    In the future, I may have more interest in email, web, twitter, texting, etc. But I'm not much concerned with video, pictures, apps, and games.

I'm currently with Verizon. Should just go to the Verizon store and choose from the options there, or will I do better if I compare with options at BestBuy and various web retailers?

Also, I would appreciate baseline specs to consider, keeping in mind that games/apps are not important to me.

I appreciate any help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Amazon Wireless have some android phones for a penny. You will have to sign up for a 2 year plan also which includes a data plan.

3. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

i know that the samsung illusion is free with a 2 yr agreement from VZ online right now:
    Free Samsung Illusion | Verizon

radio shack has the samsung stratosphere for free online as well:
    Free Samsung Stratosphere | RadioShack

they are both middle of the road as far as specs are concerned, but would be more than adequate for your list of needs/wants.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

"Best way to purchase cheap Android phone?" At a Shenzhen electronics mall.

5. leo9891

leo9891 Member

I went onto my cell provider's website, att.com, and was looking for an upgrade. Sorted the list from Lowest to Highest price, narrowed the list to smartphones and saw some decent ones. They have new and refurbished ones, this is how I got my new but refurbished Android Samsung Galaxy S2! And only for $9.99! I thought that was a steal, especially since I heard such great reviews about this phone. I'm loving it and even though its a refurbished unit, it looks BRAND SPANKING NEW!

I went from an iPhone 3GS to an amazing SGS2. You should check out your provider's website cause they have prices for internet only specials and prices for their in-store products so you get to see everything.

Edit: They even have smartphones for a penny! Now even if it wasn't the best smartphone ever, but better than your current one, I don't see how you could pass deals like that up.

Edit 2: Just searched up some Verizon Androids and came up with these phones, the HTC Thunderbolt for $49.99 and the Droid Bionic for $79.99. But this is for my area, idk where you live so pricing may be different.
    Links: HTC Thunddrbold http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5663
    Motorola Droid Bionic http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b...t&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5811

From what I read, they are both great phones, but the Bionic is better than the Thunderbolt. Don't know how much of this is true so check it out for yourself and see what you like.

6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

gonna move this to android lounge :)
    you should get more targeted responses that way