1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

best way to recover data off broken phones?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NautolanRogue, Jan 13, 2020.

1. NautolanRogue

NautolanRogue Lurker

I have a clumsiness problem that has cost me several phones, now that I've amassed a collection of three I'd like to do something to get the data off of them. I've been looking up how to do this and thought it might be more useful outing the problems to see what the best approach is. None of them has USB Debugging enabled.

1. Motorola One - Broken the most recently, low priority stuff on there, photos and some data on apps I'd like to view. The screen is shattered and I'm unsure if it's responsive to touch. The display was at first flickering and pixelated, with me being able to see the clock buzzing about on the lock screen, but now when I press the power button but I can only see it light up but not display any colour. Seems to be charging fine. If there was any chance of repair, this would be the one I'd be willing to spend money on.

2. Moto E4 - Broken a year ago, lost cause in terms of responsiveness but there are texts on there that would be really, really useful to me. Anyways to specifically recover texts?

3. Obi MV1 - Broken 3 years ago, want to recover holiday photos from India off there which I can't access any other way. Single crack along screen which totally disabled touch screen. Would have been a simple repair if anywhere stocked parts for an obscure phone off Amazon.

If I could get something that would be able to recover data off all three I'd be willing to drop a fair bit of money on it. General or specific suggestions are welcome.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. baizhou

baizhou Well-Known Member

As I know, there is pro Broken Android Data Recovery tool, which can help us access to data on Android phone with broken screen and extract them out, if the data not being deleted or lost. But I am not sure it works well on your Android phone, cause not all Android phones are supported by such tool.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Unfortunately any post asking about recovering data attracts pushing various "data recovery tools". If you look at the account you usually find that the person either had only made one post or that all of their posts are saying the same thing. I've yet to see independent evidence of any of these things working.

Can you see the screen on phone 3? If so then as long as it supports USB OTG you can plug a mouse into an OTG adapter and use that to control the phone. Then you can back the photos up in several ways: email to yourself, upload to your favourite cloud service, or just unlock it, set the default USB connection method to file transfer or MTP (should be an option in Developer Options menu - click repeatedly on the "build number" in the software information to enable that menu) then unplug the OTG adapter, plug in a USB cable and copy over USB to a computer. Or even pair a bluetooth mouse then use that, freeing up the USB socket.

Phone 2 is probably a lost cause, but can you describe exactly what happens if you try to boot it up?

Phone 1 you might be able to get data off if you could see anything. Do you know whether it supports any form of wired screen mirroring (USB-C to HDMI or maybe MHL)? If it does then you can mirror the display to a TV to see what it's doing, then if touch works you can control it and set up some sort of cloud backup or WiFi transfer. If touch isn't working that's more difficult: I have recovered data from a phone in that state, but unlocking the phone and backing stuff up when having to swap between MHL (so I could see where I was) and MHL (so I could use a keyboard or mouse to control it) took a lot of patience. Once I got a bluetooth mouse paired with it it became a lot easier. If it's just the screen then repair is an option, provided you can ensure that the repairer doesn't factory reset the phone (official service centres often do that as a matter of procedure, but it obviously defeats the point here).

MrJavi likes this.

motorola one Forum

The motorola one release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 5.9" inch screen, 13MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 625 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews