1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best way to synch text files both on SD card and on cloud drive?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by redfishsc, Jan 18, 2013.

1. redfishsc

redfishsc Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Male
    working all day
    Living room
    I'm looking for the most efficient (simple) way to create and edit a common text file, such as a note pad type app.

I'm using an UN-activated LG Viper using Android 4.0.4. I have NO 4G internet and no voice, but I have Wi-Fi at home.

I want the app to automatically synchronize with my cloud drive (like Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive).

The reason I say this is because of the amount of water and chemicals I work around, and the fact that I take a LOT of notes on my phone throughout the day.

If I were to drop my phone in a 5g can of acetone (which isn't likely at all, but certainly possible) then it's toast. Or if I drop it in the river (which has happened recently!!).

Any suggestions?

I have Google Drive ap on my phone, and it does EXACTLY what I'm talking about, but unless I'm connected to Wi-Fi, it won't open and edit a document. That is useless to me. I have no Wi-Fi at work or out on the river if I'm fishing or something (yes, I do take notes occasionally when fishing!).

Any tips?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Evernote can do that for free, but you won't be able to see previous notes unless you have a connection. You can continuously make new ones though and it will sync once you get a connection. If you pay for the app you can get offline access.

In Samsung phones, the built in Notes app can sync to Google Drive. Maybe your LG can as well?

A third choice would be to use any regular Office app to make docs, then use a third party service like Sugarsync, Dropbox or Box to sync them to cloud and your PC.

3. redfishsc

None

Oct 10, 2011
    Male
    working all day
    Living room
    OK I will look into Dropbox or something. Can Dropbox (or other) be set to automatically synch something from, say, Polaris Office or similar word processor type?

I also ask because I have this small phone I use as a glorified iPod Touch, but I also have a tablet that I use for research....it would be helpful to have them both synched to the same cloud drive with the same documents.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Yes they can. You have to use Dropsync though, not the official Dropbox app. The Sugarsync native app can do what you ask too. Basically you make a folder on your desktop and sync it using Dropbox or Sugarsync, then they will appear in your phone file system. You can navigate to it using a File Manager app or Polaris. Just setup both your tablet and phone and they will sync all changes across your tablet, phone and desktop.

5. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Check out FolderSync. Will do what you want using most any cloud storage, or even more than one at the same time. I use it to sync stuff on both Dropbox and Google Drive simultaneously.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

6. redfishsc

None

Oct 10, 2011
    Male
    working all day
    Living room
    OK based on the info y'all have given me...

I've set up Foldersync ($2 app) on two tablets to synch with Google and Skydrive. Unfortunately SKydrive won't let you auto-sync (no surprises with micropsycho).

I'm tinkering with Kingsoft's document app, but so far on my tablet, it won't actually save anything. I'll make a test doc, name it, and save it in a specific destination folder, and when I come back to that folder, it's empty.

Either way, I have something going. The Foldersync does work, which is the main thing.

Thanks everyone for the help.