• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best way to transfer a file to a TF

Whats the best way to transfer files, such as a movie, to the TF? Can you use the cable that comes with it to plug into the usb port on the computer? Blutooth?

Yes, the quickest way to transfer a large file would be to connect the supplied cable to your computers USB socket. The TF101 internal memory shows up in Windows as a removable drive. Simply drag and drop your files to your chosen location.

I copied two movies this way with no issue. If your TF101 complains it can't play the movies, download moboplayer, which works a treat on divx/xvid.

For smaller files, I use Dropbox.

Hope this helps

Pete :cool:

Reactions: rogone
Upvote 0
with android there are lots of ways.

1. USB cable
2. FTPserver app (via wifi) with an FTP client.
3. Dropbox app
4. Use an adapter and put the files on your MicroSD card
5. If you have the dock, use the full size SD card as above.
6. Use UPnP or SMB network file sharing to see your PC network.
7. email the file to your Gmail account and save the attachment to your tablet.
8. use a USB data stick to transfer the file from PC to tablet.

Upvote 0
You get some advices here

1. DropBoks
Visual appearance – *****
Ease of use/Simplicity – ****
Sharing Capabilities – **
File Size Limit – 1GB

Pros -
- super simple design, very easy to use
- 1gb account limit
- see all your files at once in an explorer-like view
Cons -
- must create account
- can't share easily with other people
- slower file upload, suited best for small files

2. YouSendIt
Visual appearance – ***
Ease of use/Simplicity – ***
Sharing Capabilities – *****
File Size Limit – 100MB

Pros -
- delivers files directly via email
- no login required
- with registration, you can see all the files you have sent, and track number and date of downloads
Cons -
- recipient's email is confusing, many links
- could be mistakenly marked as spam

locksmith las vegas
locksmith in las vegas

Upvote 0
It doesn't show up as a removable drive like when you connect a phone. It shows up as a portable media device or something like that. You just have to double click it and then you'll see the "removable drive" like you normally do.

I only use the cable for large files. Rest of the time I use Swiftp.

Upvote 0
On my Windows XP machine my Transformer didn't show up as all so I had to do a little research.

It turns that it is a device which requires MTP (Media Transport Protocol), which as indicated above, shows up as portable media when you have the right drivers installed. All I had to do was upgrade Windows Media Player to WMP-11 and that took care of it. I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it on XP also, but they're more complex.

Reactions: entiel
Upvote 0
On my Windows XP machine my Transformer didn't show up at all so I had to do a little research.

It turns that it is a device which requires MTP (Media Transport Protocol), which as indicated above, shows up as portable media when you have the right drivers installed. All I had to do was upgrade Windows Media Player to WMP-11 and that took care of it. I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it on XP also, but they're more complex.

Upvote 0
my transformer has always shown up from the first time i plugged it in, but when i try to transfer a large file like a move it fails.

i have windows 7 and windows explorer restarts everytime i try to transfer a file. When i say large i mean like 1-2 gb... anything i can do?? It is too late to return it, so all i can do now is return it to asus and i hear that isnt too fun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones