1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Best way to use this phone in Ger. It. Sp..europe

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ken Smith, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2017
    Sprint unlocked my LG G2.
    Is the best way to use this in Europe by purchasing a SIM card in Italy with prepaid minutes?
    Does anyone have any experience using this in Europe with a SIM card?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    As a European I've no experience of using a Sprint phone, but if that's the LS980 (Sprint LG G2) from the specs I've found it should be good for 2G and 3G throughout Europe. I don't see any European LTE bands in its specs.

If it is unlocked then I'd expect that it should just work with a local SIM. That's the way GSM technology (which LTE is an evolution of) is designed to work: you put the SIM in a handset and your number (in this case a new, pre-paid one) is now associated to that handset.

It may be helpful to know that the EU has abolished roaming charges between EU countries (which includes some non-EU countries such as Switzerland). So subject to some slightly vague "fair use" rules (which basically boil down to "you should spend more time at home than roaming") your charges in another EU country should be the same as your charges when in the country in which your SIM was issued. For pre-pay that should be true for voice or text. For pre-paid data it's a little more complex: see FAQ number 25 here. The net upshot of this is that you probably don't have to buy a new SIM in every country you visit. Bear in mind though that the USA is not part of the EU, so calls to home could be quite expensive: check the local provider's international roaming rates if you plan to do that (using VOIP is likely to be cheaper).

(I've a contract phone so have not tested any of this with pre-pay, but as someone who regularly visits Switzerland with less frequent visits to other European countries saying goodbye to roaming charges has been a great thing).

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.