1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Bestbuy ROCKS trading in my Hero for a EVO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robwerden, May 13, 2010.

1. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

I love how people come in and say someone is full of it, when they have no idea what they are talking about. I posted that "I" am getting an EVO and am eligible for an upgrade. Not everyone is going to be eligible as I stated, you need to contact bestbuy and ask them.
    I have 100% absolute proof that bestbuy can do things sprint cant. That proof is 3 brand new heros that I bought from them on April 11 2010 for $99 each when my contract did not expire til end of july and sprint refused to give me the upgrade price.
    What more proof do you need that best buy is capable of breaking the rules sprint has made?
    When I pick up my 3 new EVO's Ill post my bestbuy paperwork proving I got them.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ep8703

ep8703 Member

if i were you i would check with sprint. i just when through that with them on a blackberry and a hero. sprint billed me $200.00 ETF for a non return device. the problem you will run into is if you talk to 4 different CRS @ sprint u will get 4 different answer. i ended up return the hero in order to get the $200.00 remove.since i was well pass my 30 days. now i don't have an early upgrade option or the hero.

3. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Android Enthusiast

I don't think anyone is questioning if you got someone from bestbuy to tell you that you can get your Evos. The problems that many of us have with what you have said are based on the comments about best buy only caring about selling phones, not contracts, and about best buy being able to upgrade you whenever they want. Those comments make no sense as Best Buy must get your account upgraded through Sprint so if you are not eligible for upgrade pricing Best Buy has no say in it, they can contact someone at Sprint and that person may be willing/able to allow you to get the upgrade but it is not some super special contract with best buy. If you are under contract with Sprint then only Sprint can modify that contract.

4. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

I think people forget the core business of sprint, which is service. If I buy a phone from anyone and sign up for 2 year contract with sprint, then sprint gets a guarantee of 2 years of billing me. Then 6 months later I buy a phone from someone and they tell me in order to get a good deal on my phone I need to extend my contract with sprint an additional 6 months, then sprint gets another guaranteed 6 months of billing me.

Is it really that hard to understand? Every time you buy a phone you extend your contract, in essence renewing it for 2 years from the time you buy the phone. All sprint wants is the customer to stay with sprint. The phone sales mean nothing to them. They could care less who you buy the phone from.

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert

robwerden wins1!1! That's just it... they want you paying for service... tphones are just incentives to keep you tied into paying. If they can hook you into getting a phone, they just got 2 years of promised pay from you. I think that is mainly what they care about.

6. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Android Enthusiast

they already have us tied into 2 year contracts and give us a full upgrade price after 1 year. Not to mention, now the story is changing from Best Buy has a sweetheart contract that lets them do upgrades whenever they want, to sprint is going to let you upgrade no matter what. This thread has pretty much turned into a joke....

7. geneva54

geneva54 Member

As I have learned it is usually two different things talking/chatting to someone and actually going to the store to do the transaction. Im sure there will be some complications.

8. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

It's like talking to a brick wall with some people.

For all you nay sayers, why not try it your self.

9. jonathan76888

jonathan76888 Well-Known Member

i try it and the best buy lady told me, you got to pay full retail price for it!!

10. geneva54

geneva54 Member

yes I hate when that happens

11. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

And you have had your contract for how long?

12. jonathan76888

jonathan76888 Well-Known Member

2years 3months, just renew it 3 months ago, she didnt even check!!

13. cotten516

cotten516 Lurker

you ,apparently, know absolutely nothing about Sprint's core business. Yes, it is all about service, but handset subsidy plays a huge part in service revenue. Sprint and Best Buy do not get free phones from HTC. They have to buy them from HTC to sell to you. When you pay full retail, you are basically paying Sprint what they paid for the phone. Maybe a small markup, but not much at all. If Sprint is giving a $100 handset discount normally for new customers, and you just got a discount 2 months ago, giving you that discount means that Sprint is now paying you to be their customer. Not going to happen. If you have a $60 plan, Sprint makes around $25-$30 a month from you after covering overhead. Why would Sprint give you a large discount anytime you want to extend your contract by 4 months? Answer is they wont, and shouldn't.

14. cotten516

cotten516 Lurker

To add to my last post. If you have someone saying they will do this for you at Best Buy, the rep either does not care or isn't aware of the rules. Either way, they will probably face disciplinary action if not termination for doing this if caught. Best Buy is reimbursed by Sprint for each new and qualifying upgrade that they do. If it doesn't meet the criteria, and yours does not, Best Buy loses money. As you say, Is it really that hard to understand?

15. geneva54

geneva54 Member

Im sorry but Im going to have to call Shennanigans on this thread.:D

16. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

Hey, believe what you want. Im getting an EVO and you can stay on your heros.

17. srn1985

srn1985 Lurker

Why sell your Hero to BestBuy when you can get decently more money for it on ebay? The Evo will basically pay for itself according to the prices they are currently selling at.

18. jayrod88

jayrod88 Newbie

Good luck on your EVO journey (3 of them at that)! As I stated before (from someone who runs a best buy mobile), what you have stated is so incorrect. If you are eligible for a 2 year then you get your phone. If not, then either add a line or pay full retail. This has been BEATEN into all best buy locations. Sorry buddy...

19. jayrod88

jayrod88 Newbie

So true!

20. barnacles

barnacles Android Enthusiast

Is it that hard to understand? What I am saying is this, best buy does not control your contract. As much as you would like to say that, and make up the basis of their decisions, it is incorrect. Best buy does not control the terms of your contract. You cannot just upgrade your phone at any time. If this were the case, I would get a new phone every 2 months, just for the hell of it. I mean cmon, your calling us ignorant, however the things you are suggesting are not all that logical. So because you talked to some random chat rep. that promised you an evo at release for the upgrade price, you now know all about "sprints core business" and we are all idiots? The phone sales do indeed mean something. Thats $$. What would be the point in upgrade prices and upgrade eligibility then? Instead, sprint would advertise "SIGN A 2 YEAR AND UPGRADE YOUR PHONE WITHIN WHENEVER YOU WANT!!!" Sadly, that is not the way it works. If sprint just gave everyone a discounted price on every phone they bought, whether or not they were in contract, it would hurt. No one here is saying you are necessarily wrong, however from my MANY experiences, I have learned best buy doesn't control your contract. So for them to be able to override sprints policies is baffling.

21. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert

My reaction to thread so far.

[​IMG]

22. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

I just called sprint and asked them this exact question. I suggest you do the same.

"If I go into bestbuy and buy an EVO and trade in my HERO will they extend my contract 2 years from the date that I purchase the phone, in this case June 2010 to June 2012"

Answer "YES"

"If bestbuy does this will they give me the upgrade price of $199"

Answer "yes"

"Is this something sprint can also do"

Answer "no"

"does bestbuy have the ability to do contract extentions that sprint does not?"

Answer "yes"

"Why does bestbuy have this ability and sprint does not?"

Answer "because they are a 3rd party vendor"

Everyone here who does not believe me can call and talk to sprint them selves.

23. Droidone

Droidone Android Enthusiast

I don't think this is a issue of calling sprint but once the 4th comes and someone actually pulls it off, we will all know.

24. geneva54

geneva54 Member

The queston you forgot to ask is:
    "I already just upgraded and renewed my 2 year contract. Can I still upgrade to the EVO?

25. robwerden

robwerden Newbie

No, she knew I already upgraded because she was looking at my account when we were talking. Im not a stupid kid, Im 40 years old and I know how to verify information.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews